17/20 to 22 Inch Wheels.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would really like the input of those that have gone from 17s to 22s.

A few questions:

How much worse is MPG (due to more weight not OD)?
How much worse is Handling?
How much worse is Stopping?

Vehicle is driven about 28,000 miles per year, so to me i will make a difference.

I have a 2009 Suburban with the factory 17s, I was loaned a 2011 LT 3 with the 20's.....I could hardly notice a difference in performance / stopping and I preferred the stiffer ride of the 20s.

I do not plan to do any brake upgrades as I will not be able to keep the car for a long time, changing to a better pad is acceptable.

Also the new Tahoes and Escalades that come with factory 22s, do they have upgraded brakes or stronger Hubs.

Please Advise.

Last edited:

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I have done it. I run 17s in winter and 22 in summer. Mpg are slightly worse, 1-2 mpg . Stopping in slightly increased, but once you get a feel for it, it becomes a natural feeling and vice versa. You do notice a ride difference but nothing that makes it not worth it. Personally i think it handles a bit better, wider tire pattern and less tire tickness but down side the ride is a tad stiffer but it rides very close to factory 20

Sierkonblazer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We went from factory 18s to 22's and lost about one MPG (running 89 octane). Handling didnt change much, neither did the ride. I have yet to get into an emergency stopping situation, but braking feels the same also. Im used to driving a truck, so the comfortableness of our Yukon is amazing and I guess I dont notice all the bumps and vibrations that most people would..

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I lost about 1mpg. So that's not bad. And as for handling it is slightly worse sometimes. when I get to a red light if I don't grip the steering wheel strong it turns about 1/4 of the steering wheel. Dam LA streets lol. Braking pretty much feels the same.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my 08 Tahoe I went from factory 20's to factory 22's. Less braking power, slightly harder to turn the wheel, and about 1-1.5 mpg lost. Looks were worth it though!

OP
OP
Goodinblack

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.

@ SUMO: How do you like your TBSS Wheels? Quality? Finish? Etc?. I am thinking about going that direction.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys.

@ SUMO: How do you like your TBSS Wheels? Quality? Finish? Etc?. I am thinking about going that direction.

I love it. I have no regrets and the finish is amazing. I get a lot of looks and compliments about them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n