07 Yukon - Aftermarket Replacement of OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
My camera just arrived. No instructions.

View attachment 208474

Hard to tell from the pic with the wiring not stretched out but looks like the red and black that are together would be positive (ignition/constant) and negative and the other single red wire would get hooked to you positive lead of the reverse lights to act as a signal wire to turn the camera on when in reverse.

Just a guess on my part.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
found a diagram for mine

View attachment 208510
So I think you can create a pigtail off the stock camera's wiring harness for the video feed.

Red and black wire to ground and 12V power

I ended up taking my trunk apart as I'm looking for an AC refrigerant leak (months of searching), still can't find it. Turns out there are quite a few grounds for me to tap into.

Ledesordre

Reaction score
Someone else mentioned (might have been a different thread or forum) the stock camera only uses 6v instead of 12v, can anyone confirm? I guess could always voltmeter on the oem camera power wire of the harness, when I get around to it.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Someone else mentioned (might have been a different thread or forum) the stock camera only uses 6v instead of 12v, can anyone confirm? I guess could always voltmeter on the oem camera power wire of the harness, when I get around to it.

I wish you would check it with a volt meter and post your results because I have heard that rumor before and while I can neither confirm nor deny that the GMT900 are not 6V, although I highly doubt it, I can tell you that I repurposed a stock camera from a Hummer H2 and ran it on 12V and never had an issue.

I cut the factory plug off the camera harness and wired up an RCA and hooked it to 12V and ground and used it on my 1st Gen Esky for years.

Ledesordre

Reaction score
This weekend had a little time to play around, was able to test the integrity of the video carrying wires from the liftgate all the way to screen with the new aftermarket cam. Was able to get the new camera to display on the oem head unit.

Now I just need to finish removing the rear applique (anyone know a way to remove the camera without removing the applique?) and then splice wire into the factory harness. At that point I'll be able to see if its pushing out 5-6v or 12v and whether or not that ground is sufficient also.

If it does not put out 12v, I'll just wire it in from something else.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
This weekend had a little time to play around, was able to test the integrity of the video carrying wires from the liftgate all the way to screen with the new aftermarket cam. Was able to get the new camera to display on the oem head unit.

Now I just need to finish removing the rear applique (anyone know a way to remove the camera without removing the applique?) and then splice wire into the factory harness. At that point I'll be able to see if its pushing out 5-6v or 12v and whether or not that ground is sufficient also.

If it does not put out 12v, I'll just wire it in from something else.
NICE WORK!!!
I can't think of a way to get the rear camera out without removing the rear appliqué, it's in there pretty good

How was the quality of the image?

Might as well order some JB Weld now because the nuts holding the appliqué is going to break the plastic brackets

Ledesordre

Reaction score
I wish you would check it with a volt meter and post your results because I have heard that rumor before and while I can neither confirm nor deny that the GMT900 are not 6V, although I highly doubt it, I can tell you that I repurposed a stock camera from a Hummer H2 and ran it on 12V and never had an issue.

I cut the factory plug off the camera harness and wired up an RCA and hooked it to 12V and ground and used it on my 1st Gen Esky for years.

FYI it’s 6v just checked! So find a different 12v source.

Ledesordre

Reaction score
NICE WORK!!!
I can't think of a way to get the rear camera out without removing the rear appliqué, it's in there pretty good

How was the quality of the image?

Might as well order some JB Weld now because the nuts holding the appliqué is going to break the plastic brackets
Quality looked good but I barely had it hooked up so I need to permanently wire it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman