07 Yukon - Aftermarket Replacement of OEM Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
Tried searching but can't seem to find anything conclusive.

I have an 07 Yukon Denali, the OEM backup camera got water in the lens and no longer shows a clear image. I'm not paying $150+ for a used OEM camera which I wasn't impressed with anyway.

I want to replace with a simple aftermarket backup cam with an RCA plug. In order to hook up to my factory nav unit with an RCA plug, is this all I need? https://camera-source.com/2007-2012-gm-truck-backup-camera-vss-adapter.html
Plug.JPG

I assume this is a standard RCA plug with wiring pins? What specific pin should I use?

My OEM radio has the brown connector. Attached is a photo, I saw in a youtube video stating I should plug the red wire into #6 and the black into #7IMG_8895.JPG

Then proceed to install the camera as per the instructions below

Image.JPG

OR, am I making this way harder than it should be? Is it possible to use the broken stock camera, cut off the wiring harness and just wire an RCA plug for video as well as power and ground to the harness?
Wire Harness.JPG

In the harness picture above, I assume red and gray go to the OEM headunit in pins #6 and #7 which looks like it matches on my HU picture above...yellow and white I presume run to power and ground?

Ledesordre

Reaction score
Very interested in seeing what you do here because my backup cam is also inop and I'm thinking aftermarket due to cost savings and being better cameras.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Yes that pigtail is all you need. I believe the pins are 5 and 6 but its been a while. Someone else can chime in. Thats all you need though.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
They want $20 for that thing?! Jesus, I have literally 10000 of those pins and a few jacks. Ill make it and send it for half.

Ledesordre

Reaction score
I heard the stock camera only uses 6v input, is that true? The aftermarket ones use 12v. Should work still just fine a different 12v power source?

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Yes, signal wise it will be the same going to the headunit. Just pull 12v power for the camera.

Ledesordre

Reaction score
what back cam you thinking of going with? i'm going to make an rca adapter

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Most of those cameras are all the same quality, and its unlikely youll be impressed by any other than the OEM. Youll still be limited in picture by the ****** resolution of the OEM nav screen.

Ledesordre

Reaction score
Ideally would want to use one that fits well into the oem location.

OP
OP
L

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
They want $20 for that thing?! Jesus, I have literally 10000 of those pins and a few jacks. Ill make it and send it for half.
Lol, yeah I'm not giving them $20 plus I would assume they want $5 shipping for it to go in an envelope for USPS delivery

Which pins are they? I plan on making my own cable, I'm sure I've got dozens of RCA cables

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belveman