01 suburban tail lights/cruise control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernDuke

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before but there was nothing specific in the threads I found.

My cruise control works until night time when my DRL’s swap to head lights.

I know I need a resistor of some sort. What I don’t know is how much of a resistor. Has anyone actually solved this? I’m sure it varies between light sets but is there a total resistance I should aim for?

I guess really if I had one of the original bulbs I could ohm it out and then ohm out my current lights. I just don’t have one.

Thanks guys

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I know this has been covered before but there was nothing specific in the threads I found.

My cruise control works until night time when my DRL’s swap to head lights.

I know I need a resistor of some sort. What I don’t know is how much of a resistor. Has anyone actually solved this? I’m sure it varies between light sets but is there a total resistance I should aim for?

I guess really if I had one of the original bulbs I could ohm it out and then ohm out my current lights. I just don’t have one.

Thanks guys

Some more info would be great.

What kind of taillights, or bulbs in the taillights, are you running?

I can only assume that it's not stock from your post but I have no idea what we're actually dealing with.

I am not certain what having the parking/running lights ON or OFF has anything to do with the brake switch and/or cruise control, although this is a GMT800 and I am more familiar with the GMT900 platform.

Please give as much info as possible about the current issue.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
50w 6ohm resistors . One on each side spliced into the running light. I’ve done it. Super easy and works on every aftermarket led tail light as far as I know C8C6D591-E4BB-4E33-98A7-3A29E5C23053.jpeg

kbuskill

Reaction score
Those will get extremely hot hooked to the running lights.

Again more info about the vehicle and taillights would be helpful.

Or you can hook up those resistors and burn up anything that comes into close proximity to them... your choice.

Question....

What type of 3rd brake light do you have and does it work???

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Yep they will get super hot and easily melt plastic and wire insulation. I made custom brackets for mine using ac/heater ducting hanger straps. I tried searching my build thread but I couldn’t find pics

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya that's why I wanted the ones I added to my truck recently to only be for the blinkers those baby's get toasty

kbuskill

Reaction score
Trying to get more info on his rig is like pulling chicken teeth... lol

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Trying to get more info on his rig is like pulling chicken teeth... lol
It’s an 00-06 , should be all the info needed. With any led tails the cruise won’t work. So slap in some resistors and all is good in the world. That’s from what I’ve seen for the past 5 years :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman