00 Tahoe Z71 mutli system questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FastSteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Truck-2000 Tahoe Z71, GMT 400 chassis with barn/cargo doors. I have questions about several different items/systems that will in a way tie into each other.

First, I have done some searching and am not finding much. Other than mostly home built units. I am looking for a kit that will allow me to move the spare tire from the underside to behind the barn/cargo doors like the 01 Blazer I had. I have stock rims and tires right now. I wouldn't mind something that can handle around 33-34 inch tires if possible but if its only stock, so be it. I also wouldn't mind something that would also have a provision for a gas can and jack. The gas can being more important. But again if there is only something from just the tire so be it.

The reason for this is two fold. One it is for medical reasons. I have a bad back along with issues in both knees. Not having to crawl under the truck to change a tire will be much easier on me. Not too mention how those tire wenches always seem to rust and not want to move.

Second where the tie ins start to come into play. I did a little research and do not see there being any issues with this swap. After moving the spare, I want to mount a Suburban fuel tank where the spare goes. The tire laying on its side as mounted is not as wide as the fuel tank. The fuel tank will hang less than inch and half lower than the tire. And hell they mounted this tank on the Suburban so there isn't a clearance issue. Other than length, the frame will be the same, meaning same space between them. In the LMC Truck catalog the fuel filler neck and vent for all the tanks is the exact same part #.

I have the expensive long style 30 gallon tank right now. Besides lengthening the fuel lines and I am assuming having to buy a Suburban fuel pump are there other things I will need to address? Switching to the Suburban tank will give me an extra 12 gallons of fuel capacity. From talking to a buddy that had a 96 1500 K1500 Suburban with 3:42 gears I estimate this would give me around a 630 mile highway range, give or take.

My truck has dual exhaust right up till the muffler. Each engine bank its own pipe right up to the muffler. Then one pipe out. Don't like the single tail pipe look. Are there any exhaust systems built for the Suburban that will work with my dual system and go around the Suburban tank and give me two tail pipes. Giving me a true dual all the way back?

On a side bar. Can I cap off the fuel filler neck opening on the stock tank and is there a setup there can work through where the stock fuel pump mounts allowing me to inter-connect with the Suburban tank? Basically allowing me to pump back and forth to fill it and use it a reserve? This is a side interest to me as I just think it would be cool to be able to have a total capacity of 72 gallons. I would have over a 1000 mile highway range. But I am not drilling or altering the stock tank to do this. These tanks are big bucks as they must be hard to come by. If I can do a setup to make use of it without modifying the tank, great. If not I am not going to sweat it. I will just remove it from the truck and put it aside.

Thanks for any info that can help.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
This bumper is pricey wiyh the items you need but easiest way to relocate tire. http://www.tacticalarmorgroup.com/T...-Chevrolet-GMC-C-K-series-HD-Sierra-Silverado. As for the tank, dont do it. You will have interference in the fit, likely no mount points on the forward crossmember and there is no rear crossmember to mount rear of straps and no collision protection for the rear of tank. Unless you can find a maker of larger tank for an obs tahoe and it is dot certified do not attempt to mod it somehow. the new bumper can carry two 5 gallon cans tho. not likely good for the back perhaps.

OP
OP
F

FastSteve

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There should be all the mounting points I need for the tank. And other than being a shorter frame where most of that is in the wheelbase, the tank would be mounted in the same place one would find it on a Suburban of the same GMT 400 chassis. It had enough protection for the Suburban. Plus I would have the extra protection of the tire mounted on back. This would basically be no different than a Suburban. Thanks for the info on the bumper.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LowCountryTim