Yukon front airdam delete?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HPdrifter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was reading the owners manual....(don't ask I'm just like that) and I saw where it explained you could remove the lower black plastic airdam to get more ground clearance if you off road...But then it said put it back on immediately after returning to road to keep engine cooling at premium? I don't see how it does that since it's not vented...I'd like to delete it for good to get some more ground clearance especially when pulling up to parking bumpers...Any idea what the effect on MPG would be? Anyone else delete this?

Last edited:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont think it will affect the cooling one bit but who knows u have a hybrid and There will be no MPG increase or decrease for sure. IMO the only problem with removing the (valance) I think thats what its called is you will leave a metal part of the Yukon exposed which looks horrible IMO. but it does make the kon looking like it sits a bit taller.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Edgar it's even worse on the hybrids ... that valance is like a snowplow. :)

It's actually there simply for aerodynamic reasons but it's a pain in the ass to drive around with, especially in the city where you're constantly scraping asphalt going in and out of parking lots. Most hybrids have the metal a little folded at the lower front fender corners where the bumper assy meets the fender because the owner has hit the valance on the ground and it has pushed up the sheet metal.

Mike I've actually taken it off (also a pita to do) to see how it looks without it and imo it looks terrible ... mostly because if you look at it closely it's not made in a straight line across the bumper but dips in the middle. I didn't take any pics of it, but I'll have to take it off again in a week or two and will post pics so you can see the difference.

Not having it on won't deter cooling, if anything, it will improve it.

Last edited:

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm how about just trimming the metal all together? I really like the tahoe and yukon hybrids front end. It looks more aggresive than the non hybrids.

Sent from my BlackBerry 8530 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
HPdrifter

HPdrifter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As long as it doesn't affect the MPG...I'm going to see if I can delete it or maybe cut it down...I was wondering how it would do in snow and Soulsea's comment about the plow made me laugh! It is a pain going up driveways and parking nose in......I mean one thing cool about a 4 x 4 is saying NO to curbs and obstructions and just going over them....My owner's manuel says it's 2 bolts and some clips? I'll post some pics if I do the delete...

BTW here's a pic of mine newly aquire one!....Bone Stock!

Attachments

• yukon.jpg
    yukon.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 45

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mike,

I had my valance taken off recently as I bought a new one to replace the faded one that was on there before. I saw the guy do it and although it seems relatively easy, it is a pain in the ass. You don't have to remove the whole bumper assy but it will be a lot easier if you do ... otherwise you'd almost have to get the truck on a lift. It is only the bolts and clips but those clips are mofos to undo.

The problem with cutting it down is the way the edges will look. But I'm eager to see if you can make it work.

Incidentally, cause the guys at the body shop are good buddies, I left my old one behind as a project for them ... they're going to sand it down (a lot) and paint it to colormatch the rest of the truck. I'm hoping that doing so will make it blend in a little better.

Also GM makes me laugh sometimes. They charge you insane money for insignificant parts ... you know how much that huge valance is? $69!!! Sheesh! :)

jd08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my tahoe it says the same thing. But I trimmed mine down some, just enough so it doesn't show the mounting tabs.

Plus I don't have any issues with the engine overheating

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trimming it down so it could be aligned with the bumper will look better than removing it completely. I had never noticed that the bumper comes down in the middle so thus removing the valance will kinda look odd.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

jdj71

Reaction score
Edgar it's even worse on the hybrids ... that valance is like a snowplow. :)

It's actually there simply for aerodynamic reasons but it's a pain in the ass to drive around with, especially in the city where you're constantly scraping asphalt going in and out of parking lots. Most hybrids have the metal a little folded at the lower front fender corners where the bumper assy meets the fender because the owner has hit the valance on the ground and it has pushed up the sheet metal.

Mike I've actually taken it off (also a pita to do) to see how it looks without it and imo it looks terrible ... mostly because if you look at it closely it's not made in a straight line across the bumper but dips in the middle. I didn't take any pics of it, but I'll have to take it off again in a week or two and will post pics so you can see the difference.

Not having it on won't deter cooling, if anything, it will improve it.
Hi there. I just bought a new air dam to replace my scraped up old one. The clips that hold the dam in place. Do you squeeze them together? Or just punch it thru the slots in the bumper. Thanks. JJ

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yikes, that was five years ago ... I'm sorry I just don't remember.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia