Woodgrain Trim Options.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

abrasumente

Reaction score
I'm not much for woodgrain trim unless it's actual wood, like what I had in a cadillac sixty special I owned many moons ago. So, as a trial run I picked up a can of plastidip (I know, I know) to see what it would look like if I decided to paint all the woodgrain, being that I can just peel it off if it sucks. I'd like some feedback on the appearance. My personal opinion is it looks much better than the factory woodgrain pattern, although I think something should be in the lower right hand corner of the long passenger side dash trim, maybe in a script type font. Something to break it up, anyway.

All the factory black plastic would be resprayed so everything matches. Right now the Scosche dash kit and the 12v power trim piece stick out like a sore thumb, so ignore that.

Before 1.jpg

After

2.jpg
3.jpg

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the black either, but to each their own. Makes it look like a poverty spec but even the poverty spec versions had better looking trim than black.

Sparksalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not much for woodgrain trim unless it's actual wood, like what I had in a cadillac sixty special I owned many moons ago. So, as a trial run I picked up a can of plastidip (I know, I know) to see what it would look like if I decided to paint all the woodgrain, being that I can just peel it off if it sucks. I'd like some feedback on the appearance. My personal opinion is it looks much better than the factory woodgrain pattern, although I think something should be in the lower right hand corner of the long passenger side dash trim, maybe in a script type font. Something to break it up, anyway.

All the factory black plastic would be resprayed so everything matches. Right now the Scosche dash kit and the 12v power trim piece stick out like a sore thumb, so ignore that.

Before View attachment 396443

After

View attachment 396444
View attachment 396445
That looks great. When I added the DIC to thecopcar, the trim it was in was wood grain. I painted it flat black.

OP
OP
abrasumente

abrasumente

Reaction score
I was actually lucky enough when I went to the yard this past weekend to find both the z71 brushed trim AND a tahoe with the same color dash as my suburban. I fit it up and can say definitively it's entirely too many shades of gray. Wish there was an option for a brushed metallic black, that would be the ticket (imo).

What about hydrographics? Problem is, I have yet to find a film pattern that isn't tacky. Carbon fiber look ain't my jam.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like improvement to me.. but I'm a big believer in black dashes to minimize windshield reflections..
(I have cocoa/cashmere myself.. want to replace or skin my cracked dash someday)

I usually prefer the poverty spec over luxury spec. For example black PPV style side mirrors vs chrome capped ones.

You have to finish your window switch panels.. Then I think you have a good business (not busy!) looking interior..

and get the rubber insert for your console lid :)

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it, I took it out to clean it and haven't put it back in because I'm a lazy bum lol
I know the feeling, by the time you put it back in, you'll have something else apart!

Just noticed, looking at your dash pics to figure out where to put switches (instead of going out to my truck)..
...does your wallet say "bad mother!ucker" on it?

OP
OP
abrasumente

abrasumente

Reaction score
I know the feeling, by the time you put it back in, you'll have something else apart!

Just noticed, looking at your dash pics to figure out where to put switches (instead of going out to my truck)..
...does your wallet say "bad mother!ucker" on it?
It does! My wife bought it for me a few years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckylec