Won't go into park

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
I know there is a lot of info On the subject my specific problem is it won't go into park and it won't go into 3rd 2nd or 1st and there is a ton of slop at the shift lever it's not the solonoid linkage ive checked that its all hooked up there's just a ton a slop like almost like there's a bolt missing right by that Spring or something like I can see the Spring in there and the Spring is there but it's something around that Spring area can anybody tell me how to fix this . Is it.the cable underneath by the pan ?

OP
OP
23sonthetahoe

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
Oh thanks for moving this thread, my bad.

*** So it is the little sping right by the gear selector thats broken. Pulled a few pieces (2) of spring out still couldn't get the spring even now that its shorter. Called local dealer parts guy says that I can't replace sring have to replace the whole unit (the part that's attached with the 3 torx head bolts) And this was almost like I was calling Nissan almost as bad they want 580 CAN D for the ignition part. Called recker 45 min away they want 200 for a column. Getting at ... *** HAS ANYONE JUST CHANGED THE SPRING THAT FIXED IT I HV A SPRING HERE THAT LOOKS THE SAME ?***
: )

OP
OP
23sonthetahoe

23sonthetahoe

Reaction score
I changed the whole column shifter assembly I got from a wrecker for cheap. Its still doing the exact same thing as it did with the original shifter assembly that had the broken spring. Still drives and reverses but I need to start it in neutral and it won't go into park or 3 2 or 1st. Any help would be appreciated. It's an 01 tahoe base model 4x4 4.8l

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I changed the whole column shifter assembly I got from a wrecker for cheap. Its still doing the exact same thing as it did with the original shifter assembly that had the broken spring. Still drives and reverses but I need to start it in neutral and it won't go into park or 3 2 or 1st. Any help would be appreciated. It's an 01 tahoe base model 4x4 4.8l
I had a somewhat similar issue with my Express van. I had bent the linkage(cable)underneath, right next to the trans pan. I bought a new cable which fixed the problem. Have you looked underneath?

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wondering if the cable is broken somewhere.

I would check it at the trans while a helper moves the shifter. If no response then prob a break.

Just a thought .

new2yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Isn't the cable 2 pieces?
It could be. I dont know. But if there's no response at the trans linkage then my thinking is its a mechanical break and it *could* be something minor.

Just a process of elimination.

Bear77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven’t checked but if the cable you’re referring to is just like the one in the ONS, it’s a 1 piece cable. Goes from column they a hole in the floor and around to tranny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh thanks for moving this thread, my bad.

*** So it is the little sping right by the gear selector thats broken. Pulled a few pieces (2) of spring out still couldn't get the spring even now that its shorter. Called local dealer parts guy says that I can't replace sring have to replace the whole unit (the part that's attached with the 3 torx head bolts) And this was almost like I was calling Nissan almost as bad they want 580 CAN D for the ignition part. Called recker 45 min away they want 200 for a column. Getting at ... *** HAS ANYONE JUST CHANGED THE SPRING THAT FIXED IT I HV A SPRING HERE THAT LOOKS THE SAME ?***
: )
too much liability..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924