Winter battery worries.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Denali has twice been completely dead for only god knows what reason. Once after four days of no driving and another time 10 hours after parking it.

So I charge it with handy shop charger and after that the truck is still running at 14.5 volts on the volt meter which means it thinks it needs more charging, right?

My searches have taught me ac delco battery's suck.

So time for a new battery to be safe. Wondering what type you guys are running? I typically will leave the truck not used for 4/5 days at a time. Don't want to get stuck in the winter months.

OP
OP

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am banned from doing this at costco here where I live. They have me on record. I had no wait still have but haven't used in 8 years a spl acura legend. Used to change battery's two at a time twice every summer. No SAMs club here where I am.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a draw on the battery with system off.

OP
OP

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Steve that's to pricey for me. I was thinking interstate.... Sears... Or the optima.

I will check for a draw but I am pretty sure it's time for a new battery. I think this winter is going to be a cold one here in New York.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How long has that one been in? I thought you were saying you change once a year which is too often.

OP
OP

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No that was on a car I have a system in. This battery has to be at least 2-3 years old. Why type are you using these days?

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No that was on a car I have a system in. This battery has to be at least 2-3 years old. Why type are you using these days?

I have only used stock or whatever the parts store has for quite a few years now. I do use a battery tender on the vehicle I am not driving very often.

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my Denali has twice been completely dead for only god knows what reason. Once after four days of no driving and another time 10 hours after parking it.
Batteries in most moderate climate areas last 3-5 years. Seasonal changes can reveal weak batteries. Also, I'd look for a parasitic drain. Up front, sounds like your battery is getting weak.

So I charge it with handy shop charger and after that the truck is still running at 14.5 volts on the volt meter which means it thinks it needs more charging, right?
No, that is the correct voltage from testing a battery in a running car. 13.8v to 14.8v is good...

A true indicator of a batteries current power ability is to have it checked for cca value. Cold cranking amps, in short, is it's available muscle.

My searches have taught me ac delco battery's suck.
Kinda generic & generally untrue. AC Delco batteries are pretty decent. If you buy it from a dealer it'll be fresh & reasonably new. If it's bought from a battery shelf in a repair center that you need to be concerned over stock rotation & how old that batt is when you buy it. If it's been sitting over 6 months it's compromised already.

So time for a new battery to be safe. Wondering what type you guys are running? I typically will leave the truck not used for 4/5 days at a time. Don't want to get stuck in the winter months.
Sears, Delco, Interstate, AAA batteries, are all good. Costco batteries are crap...cheapest low rate Intestate sells (Interstate has 7 or 8 qualities of battery they sell).

If you get a new one that have the system checked for parasitic leaks/drains. Overall, it'll be the next step in locating a drain.

Cameron

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts