Windshield Chipping 2021 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AWCheese

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Am I just unlucky - or does it seem like the windshields on the 2021 Models chip much easier than before? This is maybe my 4th Yukon/Tahoe over the past 20 years. Putting the same mileage on my ride - which isn't much - maybe 12,000 annually. Previous models bounced stones off like armored glass.

Seems to me with the new 2021 - every time a little stone flips up - it catches it on the windshield and chips. I have had this truck now for about 10 months - and already 4 rock chips in the glass. As of a month or two ago - there were no aftermarket replacement glass options out there (hopefully more durable than factory) - so I guess I'll wait through this winter before seeking a new windshield as the GM factory glass is not cheap. I figured maybe to lighten the rig, the glass got a bit thinner.

Anyhow - was curious if anyone else has observed the same issue - or maybe I should just change my username to "Rockcatcher"

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I just unlucky - or does it seem like the windshields on the 2021 Models chip much easier than before? This is maybe my 4th Yukon/Tahoe over the past 20 years. Putting the same mileage on my ride - which isn't much - maybe 12,000 annually. Previous models bounced stones off like armored glass.

Seems to me with the new 2021 - every time a little stone flips up - it catches it on the windshield and chips. I have had this truck now for about 10 months - and already 4 rock chips in the glass. As of a month or two ago - there were no aftermarket replacement glass options out there (hopefully more durable than factory) - so I guess I'll wait through this winter before seeking a new windshield as the GM factory glass is not cheap. I figured maybe to lighten the rig, the glass got a bit thinner.

Anyhow - was curious if anyone else has observed the same issue - or maybe I should just change my username to "Rockcatcher"
It’s like that with many new cars from what I read. My wife just got a new Palisade and the same thing is happening. They are making them cheaper I believe. My older cars would take a good hit before they chip but not now.

Yukon2021

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I’m on my 3rd windshield and have I only had the car 6 months that I bought new. I honestly think it’s the height of the vehicle. I had a Tahoe for 6 years with the original windshield. Sucks for sure as they are $1600 for the original windshield.

corima

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
as you said, no aftermarket yet. I have to wait months for GM replacement. Just cost my $250 deductible

DavidRMcDaniel

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I don't think it is just you. I have a 2021 Yukon Denali that I started driving (new) in February of this year and I am about to put my 3rd windshield in it. Something is wrong here. GM definitely has an issue that needs to be addressed.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I'm on my 4th windshield in my '21 Escalade. Granted, the first one was going to take out any windshield. A big truck threw up a BIG rock as I met him on the highway, it hit so hard that the inner layer of glass shattered too and left glass shards all over the top of the dash. It wasn't even a month old at the time. Second time I hardly heard the rock hit it was so small, but within a few minutes there was a 6 inch crack that was 10 inches long by the time it was replaced. Third time replaced was because the third windshield had a big scratch in it when they put it in. When I pointed it out they agreed and replaced it. The latest one already has several very small, but visible chips.

My '05 Tahoe still has the original windshield at 217k mi. It's got its battle scars, but there is nothing that the insurance company would pay for a replacement. I would have thought that the newer ones would be more resistant due to the windshield being sloped back more, causing rocks to hit as a shallower angle.

Last edited:

JestersHK

Reaction score
I'm at 20k miles and I notice even the bugs seem to hit more than our old 2016 tahoe. I have 2 cracks and chips in our glass as well. Main crack is in the black below the vis line. Other crack was a tiny pebble off a truck. We'll see how far they run in the winter...

Pertzbro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why couldnt they make a thinner version of the paint protection film like Xpel for the windsheild?

mplunk

Reaction score
This thread must be bad luck... read it on Thursday and of course Friday a rock cracked mine pretty good. Never had it happen to me in the past.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons