Which rooftop cargo carrier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ReaperHWK

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tag. Looking at the exact same box for a 21 Yukon Denali. I ordered one through GMC Accessories website and it’s back ordered :(
Yes I know. Thule says September for delivery of orders if you do it direct through them.
If you don’t care about money I only found that 2 vendors have them in stock and sell on Amazon; however they jacked up the price by $250 and are selling them for $950 shipped. I’m not willing to overpay that much.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not look for a trailer hitch mounted carrier? Safer, more fuel efficient, and higher cargo weight capacity overall.

The only downside is you have to remember its back there when you are backing up. But there are drive thrus that you cant get thru with a roof carrier on your truck either.

They come in a lot of sizes, and price points, so I cant really recommend anything over another.

Just for reference..

Reaction score
Why not look for a trailer hitch mounted carrier? Safer, more fuel efficient, and higher cargo weight capacity overall.

The only downside is you have to remember its back there when you are backing up. But there are drive thrus that you cant get thru with a roof carrier on your truck either.

They come in a lot of sizes, and price points, so I cant really recommend anything over another.

Just for reference..
That's what I used before we had the XL and took trips with the 2001. The hitch mount carriers are a lot cheaper also, but when stopping to eat or sightseeing while on a trip you need to park where you can keep an eye on it so your stuff doesn't get jacked. You could probably bolt a locking storage box, like a Contico or a trailer storage box to it to lock your luggage in and it'd still probably be cheaper.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is true. A few of them have locks, and as long as you use a locking hitch pin, I think you are golden.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I am going to make another recommendation.

With all the kids, and hungry bellies.. I would suggest getting a thermoelectric cooler. They plug into a cigarette lighter, and can keep things VERY cool. Put sandwich supplies, and drinks. Will save TONS of money over buying stuff from the gas stations.

I have used one of these for well over 2 million miles of traveling..

(yes, I did say 2 million miles)

Last edited:

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember to not overload the roof rack. Your owners manual will have the weight limit of it. I know on my 2012 it is 200 lbs
That is more a guideline. ;) Our Packasport is 100lb alone, I have had 15 pairs of skis in it...well over the 200lb. No issues at all.

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note, the new Subaru Outback Wilderness roof rating is something liek 700lb...crazy good.

Tk59194

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Rhino Rack. 1126190737_HDR~3.jpg

Attachments

• 0927190834a~2.jpg
    0927190834a~2.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member