Wheel Backspace with a lift???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So ive been looking at lifts lately, of the 4 in variety, and the common problem is almost all of them what wheels with 4.5 backspacing max. My wheels have 5.5 inches and I dont want to swap them.

BDS looks like the only kit that quotes up to 5.75 BS on a 20x9 rim (like I have). but im really interested in the Rancho kit, but they say max 4.5 BS on a 17 in rim.

Does anybody know how the Rancho kit (or other brands) would take the 5.5 BS i have. Would the rim rub the steering knuckle, or would the 20 in rim clear the top ball joint? would the tire rub?

I emailed Rancho and all they said was "check with your wheel and tire shop"

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
i actually have a bnib BDS 6.5 i might be selling with the steering stabilizer upgrade and the new loger and CV front drive shaft if you decide to go with it.....

OP
OP
W

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i've though about that. but i wonder about the safety of them...

chrisreed822

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After I installed 3" lift spindles on the front, my front tires stuck out an inch from the fender but my back tires were an inch inside the fender. So I ordered 2" spacers from rough country, the front and back sit just about the same now. I've put probably 500 miles on them and they're doing great but I torque them down once a week. Not that the eBay spacers aren't any good, but I figured I could trust rough country more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

WildBill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So spacers would be a last resort. does anyone have experience with the Rancho 4 or 6 Tahoe/Yukon kit with 20s on it?

MoisesZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm a little interested in finding out some more info about the question. I'm kind of in the same boat but with 18" 5.71 offset on 34". I hope I'm not hijacking the thread. Just any helpful info would be greatly appreciated

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason they say 4.5 max on a 17 " rim is because they are using knuckles for some of the front lift. I don't believe the knuckles are actually any taller but just reposition the wheel placement on the knuckles. So If your 20's clear the ball joints now then you shouldn't have a problem once you put the spindles on. If you are unsure measure from the top of the upper ball joint to the top of your wheel and let me know what the measurement is.

Last edited:

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
After I installed 3" lift spindles on the front, my front tires stuck out an inch from the fender but my back tires were an inch inside the fender. So I ordered 2" spacers from rough country, the front and back sit just about the same now. I've put probably 500 miles on them and they're doing great but I torque them down once a week. Not that the eBay spacers aren't any good, but I figured I could trust rough country more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris it looks great.