Weird Transmission Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Listen to rockola1971. He will not steer you wrong. There is a "method to his internal trans madness" responses.

OP
OP
JJ93

JJ93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Edit: double post lol. My bad.

I’ll see if I can get it checked out soon. I appreciate the advice guys. I'm still wondering if it is a normal delay only because of the temperatures it happens at, and just based off of other posts I am coming across, but IDK.

I'll report back after a check up lol

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I might get some quotes. If it is reasonable I might get it taken care of soon. I had the pan off a week ago and found nothing laying in it. The magnet was pretty clean, no pieces of metal or anything like that. Fluid had no metal flakes. Honestly I would assume it is still a healthy transmission just based on dropping the pan. If they try to pull something I would call BS on them right then and there.

Could I just buy a new valve body or an upgrade kit and do it myself? I have worked in a garage before, rebuilt engines, done a few trans rebuilds (Dodge.. need I say more lol). I am no stranger to getting my hands dirty. I would just hate to drop the money and time on replacing the valve body if it doesn't need it. Idk. It has been driving absolutely perfect for me for the past few days, but I guess something sticking (or worn out) in the valve body would make sense.

Thoughts? Should I just buy a new/reman valve body along with whatever else that job requires, or just bring it in and chance them telling me I need my transmission rebuilt (which I really cannot afford at the moment)?
I would not recommend looking up the cost of a valve body...youll have a heart attack. I also dont recommend anyone learning on their transmission on a vehicle that they need in the next couple of days. I would also say that you should have someone there with you that knows transmissions to "supervise". Its not difficult but you can do some major damage if you do something wrong. Leftover parts is never good!

OP
OP
JJ93

JJ93

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I looked up prices on valve bodies last night - Talk about sticker shock! No thank you lol! I have rebuilt a 4l80e and had no issues, but yeah I need my truck available and reliable every day.

I spoke to 3 different transmission shops today and they all say that it's normal for this transmission. I explained my situation, putting in fresh fluid, levels, what it's doing, etc and nobody seemed concerned. One said I could bring it by just to check it out (out of pocket, of course) but he said he has 2 trucks with the 4l60e and both of them had the same issue last week during the bitter cold (and have done that since new). It was well below 0 at night, with a wind chill even colder than that.

Just based on how the truck felt when it "acted up", and how it's driving now since it has warmed up a bit outside, I kind of believe it. It honestly felt like the truck purposely delayed the 2-3 shift until 2500 rpm or so for a mile or two, until the transmission warmed up a bit. I didn't feel the torque management kick in where the shift should have been, and I didn't feel any slips. Honestly the trans hasn't slipped once since I bought the truck, and I drive it every day (and tow with it occasionally).

I also came across this as well - https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/to...ng-concern-when-cold-on-a-1999-silverado-z71/

It concerned me because A) the truck has a history of towing, and B) I have never had another car do this. I think I'm just going to keep driving it, and if anything crops up or the transmission goes out I will just have it rebuilt or replaced. Might take it in just to have to checked for my peace of mind, but I am not nearly as concerned with it as I was. It is driving beautifully as of right now.

I appreciate the help guys!

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own (3) 4L60E's and none of mine delay any shifts when its cold and I live in the midwest. (IN). Its true that it can be common but its because of valve body wear and the valves get hung up in their bores. Another real common one is really fast snappy shift 1-2 which wont hurt the tranny, in fact just the opposite and its caused by an accumulator spring busted in half.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I own (3) 4L60E's and none of mine delay any shifts when its cold and I live in the midwest. (IN).

Same experience here. In winter mine gets driven more when it's cold, usually below 10°F without any delay in shifting. I did have tranny service done (fluid, filter) at around 95K on the clock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia