Warranties available after extended warranty expires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ReaperHWK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never get the extended warranty due to MY personnel situation. I have several vehicles and if one goes down I fix it myself, even if it takes a few weeks. I also, for the most part, don't like other people working on my stuff because usually they break something else and are NEVER as careful as I am with it....... Usually the car comes back with an extra scratch, broken tabs, and some quality of work I wouldn't care for.

However, if I had one vehicle, didn't have the means myself to work on it, then I wouldn't fault anyone for getting the warranty.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I roll the dice now a well. My last discounted $2200 contract for my Avy covered a single $700 stock torque converter replacement. Now if stuff breaks, I will improve the weak link with better parts. I got a $3200 contract for a used BMW and did not use it once in 3 years. Thats $5500 for $700 - never again!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ALWAYS come out wayyyyy ahead on extended warranties, with the exception of my 13 Tahoe.

I broke even on the Tahoe warranty. I paid $1835 for a 60/75 through GMEPP purchased at James Black Cadillac. Purchased at 2yrs @ 21k before the next pricing bracket at 24k. My time ran out before the mileage. The rack & pinion, EVAP system, CV axles and a few other things were warrantied out.

My 2002 explorer that we had - the warranty paid out $14,500 before they cancelled it on me. 5 transmissions and an ungodly amount of repairs. I kept it a year after the warranty was out and got rid of it. The first extended warranty was through Ford, then I purchased a second one through Vehicle One. Both were excellent and paid every. single. time.
BUt..that explorer was a pile of hammered dog sh*t too...

I purchased one for my wife's 19 RST through Black Cadillac not too long ago - The prices have obviously increased but It's already covered the rear axle, axle seals, and a few other MISC items. I have a bad feeling the 19 is going to use the hell out of the warranty.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This was from another thread about extended warranties very recently on this forum. As I stated before we can debate this all day long. Kind of like what is the best gas or best oil? We all have opinions on this and a lot of times the person asking the question will be more confused, just stick with a well known brand but also it is personal preference just like should I buy a warranty or not. If you read the ops original post he wasn't asking our opinion on extended warranties but was asking for reputable warranty companies. My response would be GMEPP.

shock

Reaction score
For various reasons I chose GMEPP. But FWIW, my dealer says they like Allstate’s plan the best.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have talked to dealer's before about why they would say something like that: "They like Allstate's plan the best".

The answer was always the same, "because we get a bigger % bonus payment for an aftermarket plan instead of the dealer plan". Is that still true today, I do not know.

Also, aftermarket extended warranty companies close down all the time and usually it is a legal problem and they will close down, move to another state and then reopen under a different name for the warranty. The dealer warranties do not do that. Again, IMO and AFAIK.

Last edited:

Philpug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are buying an insurance policy. You are betting soemthing will go wrong, they are betting betting something won't. You are playing the odds. Think of Vegas...with all those lights, the house wins more than they don't. I won't dismiss the self insuring plan, put the money aside. If you need it use it, if you don't, you still have it. But again...YMMV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep