Warranties available after extended warranty expires?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kck6214

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2018 LT Tahoe. Just about to reach 72,000 miles, which is when my extended warranty expires. I got the value out of it for some entertainment and NAV issues. However, I've heard personally from several uber drivers that the transmission goes out frequently at 100,000 miles and the motor at 150,000. Are there reputable warranty companies for this mileage? I will probably put another 70k on it in the next 4 years if I keep it that long.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Lot's of aftermarket ext warranties out there. You gotta read what they cover. Do not! I repeat, do not take the sellers word for what it covers. Plus, look at what their disclaimers are that tell you what they will not cover. You gotta remember, they are in the business to keep money and not pay out money for your rig. Personally, I never ever buy them because I saw what people had to go thru and what they thought was covered and then find it it was not covered. I worked in and ran shops for over 35+ years.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe in them. If you have a relationship with a service writer at a Dealer talk to them and they can tell you who is the best in reference to coverage and how well they pay for the repairs. They deal with warranty companies every day. Good luck with your decision.

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your money and play the odds. They are NOT in your favor.
Exactly this.
Have fun paying $3000+ for a warranty that doesn't cover much of anything, meanwhile you could send your 6L80 to RPM and have it built for 1000hp for less than that.

OP, I'd truly take the odds, understand that most repairs, even large ones, will cost less than or equal to the cost of the warranty.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Plus, you pay a deductible to again help offset any claims they approve. That approval comes only after they make you wait while an adjuster eventually comes to where the vehicle is and is inspected to make sure that every way possible is looked at to keep from paying.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on your plan and the warranty company, not all are as you describe. It is a personal decision and we could debate this all day long but it has been discussed many times before and no need to muddy the water or the ops post. He will make the right choice.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It depends on your plan and the warranty company, not all are as you describe. It is a personal decision and we could debate this all day long but it has been discussed many times before and no need to muddy the water or the ops post. He will make the right choice.
So if someone asks for opinion, I should not give it. Got it! No need to disagree with a choice that was asked about. Got it! Wait for approval from others before posting my thoughts. Got it!

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not what I meant at all, just giving my opinion as you did that not all are as you described(personal experience)and Im sure some are exactly as you described. I'm sorry you took it that way. You are ex-military and I am ex-law enforcement. Both served our country. Thank you for your service.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Not what I meant at all, just giving my opinion as you did that not all are as you described(personal experience)and Im sure some are exactly as you described. I'm sorry you took it that way. You are ex-military and I am ex-law enforcement. Both served our country. Thank you for your service.
Great, and I appreciate your service as well. My uncle was a cop in KC, Mo. Love 'em all. Have a Thin Blue Line support flag inside my rig. Me throwing out all the experiences I have had with ext warranties over the years and the drawbacks is my opinion. Many threads here about them and a majority like the ext warranty. I don't. I don't want to muddy any waters, I just want to share what I believe is a bad choice and @Jeff_ said as well. That's also why I will give my negative opinion of them, I will also tell the OP what to look for if they go ahead and buy an ext warranty. I know one thing, if the owner of an ext warranty came out ahead, they love 'em, if they lost against the odds, they don't.

20210505_162259.jpg20210505_162251.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345