Upgraded VCIM OnStar Activation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched, and read most (if not all) of the threads, and thus far been unable to really find an answer.

Earlier this week I swapped a 2010 VCIM out of a Yukon (part # 20829984) into my '08 Yukon Denali. Swap went well, no problems pairing my phone via Bluetooth, all that works.

If I understand correctly, on the mirror I should now have a red light instead of a green light since the info in the swapped VCIM doesn't match the vehicle VIN correct?

My mirror light is still green after several days, key cycles, etc.

As for activating an OnStar account. I've never previously had OnStar. If I understand correctly, to activate it, I need to call from the vehicle by hitting the OnStar button, that way when they pull up the module they'll see it as a 2010 Yukon (or whatever the donor vehicle is/was). Per other's experiences, I need to make sure I don't mention anything about what the vehicle really is, that I swapped VCIM's, etc.

Now, the problem is I can't seem to connect to an OnStar assistant. I've tried 3-4 times since putting the 2010 VCIM in, from different areas. When I hit the OnStar button, it says "Connecting to OnStar" audibly, and in the DIC on the dash. I get an audible tone every few seconds (like it's "ringing"), but nothing after that. Nobody ever answers no matter how long I wait.

With the swapped VCIM, the only way to activate it is this way correct? Since if I try to do it over a regular phone, or online, there's no way to have it link to or recognize the transplanted VCIM unless I'm missing something.

I mostly did the upgrade for the Bluetooth functionality, so it isn't the end of the world if I can't get the OnStar working. I did want to get the three month trial though, and give the RemoteLink app a try since being able to remote start out of keyfob range could prove to be handy.

Thanks in advance for any insight, assistance, or information.

OP
OP
Hi-psi

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I reached out to the junkyard I purchased the VCIM from and was able to get the VIN from the donor vehicle. Thinking that maybe I could try activating the OnStar service using the VIN online I received the following message:

"Unable to activate VIN
We are unable to complete the activation of this VIN online. Please press your blue button or call 1-888-4-ONSTAR (1-888-466-7827) to speak with an Advisor for assistance.
"

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t hurt if you really dont care if onstar works or not. So call up, give jy vin and see what they say. Its a possibility that DMV has a record that the truck is junked and passed that along to GM which in turn passesd to onstar... meaning GM thinks truck is no longer in existence. Again i dont know. Wont hurt you to call... imo

OP
OP
Hi-psi

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I called OnStar yesterday evening, told them I had tried activating through the OnStar button and it would never connect, and that I had also tried online with the VIN. The OnStar rep said that if it wouldn't connect by pressing the button in the vehicle, there was nothing they could do from their side since it was some type of issue on the vehicle (VCIM) side.

Not sure I entirely agree, but I didn't push the issue since I was having to dance around the fact that the VIN I was giving them was from a 2010 Yukon that per the CarFax had been totaled in an accident in 2015, instead of my '08 Denali....LOL.

She said my only option was to visit my local dealership where they could diagnose the issue.

JPatton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've searched, and read most (if not all) of the threads, and thus far been unable to really find an answer.

Earlier this week I swapped a 2010 VCIM out of a Yukon (part # 20829984) into my '08 Yukon Denali. Swap went well, no problems pairing my phone via Bluetooth, all that works.

If I understand correctly, on the mirror I should now have a red light instead of a green light since the info in the swapped VCIM doesn't match the vehicle VIN correct?

My mirror light is still green after several days, key cycles, etc.

As for activating an OnStar account. I've never previously had OnStar. If I understand correctly, to activate it, I need to call from the vehicle by hitting the OnStar button, that way when they pull up the module they'll see it as a 2010 Yukon (or whatever the donor vehicle is/was). Per other's experiences, I need to make sure I don't mention anything about what the vehicle really is, that I swapped VCIM's, etc.

Now, the problem is I can't seem to connect to an OnStar assistant. I've tried 3-4 times since putting the 2010 VCIM in, from different areas. When I hit the OnStar button, it says "Connecting to OnStar" audibly, and in the DIC on the dash. I get an audible tone every few seconds (like it's "ringing"), but nothing after that. Nobody ever answers no matter how long I wait.

With the swapped VCIM, the only way to activate it is this way correct? Since if I try to do it over a regular phone, or online, there's no way to have it link to or recognize the transplanted VCIM unless I'm missing something.

I mostly did the upgrade for the Bluetooth functionality, so it isn't the end of the world if I can't get the OnStar working. I did want to get the three month trial though, and give the RemoteLink app a try since being able to remote start out of keyfob range could prove to be handy.

Thanks in advance for any insight, assistance, or information.

I did the same thing around the same time. It works exactly as it's supposed to but it still seems so out of date. I'll start the car and it'll easily be 2 full minutes before the vcim picks up the bluetooth signal from my phone and then when I shut the car off the phone stays connected through the car speakers until I've gotten far enough away from the car that the signal can't reach.

Have you seen the same? and are you having any better luck with the bluetooth performance?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the same thing around the same time. It works exactly as it's supposed to but it still seems so out of date. I'll start the car and it'll easily be 2 full minutes before the vcim picks up the bluetooth signal from my phone and then when I shut the car off the phone stays connected through the car speakers until I've gotten far enough away from the car that the signal can't reach.

Have you seen the same? and are you having any better luck with the bluetooth performance?

Mine's been slow to pair up lately too. Oft times I manually pair the phone before pulling out of the driveway. This usually happens when multiple phones that have hooked up to the car before are all on board or nearby. Only one can pair up at a time and maybe by me manually pairing, I'm knocking the other phone off?

OP
OP
Hi-psi

Hi-psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any performance issues at all. Connects just fine. I was never able to to get the OnStar activated, but that wasn't really why I did the swap, I just wanted to play with the phone App features, so nothing lost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts