UCA - Zone vs Moog Problem Solver?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 Tahoe LT that has a 2" leveling kit on it now. I am going to be refurbishing the entire front end suspension and will also be installing a BDS 4" coil-over kit.

I have two UCA possibilities for my rebuild, Zone C2310 and the Moog Problem Solver.

I was thinking the Zone would be a good compliment to the BDS 4" that I will be installing, and they state it will have more droop or wheel travel over stock (and probably more than the Moog, too).

I was considering the UCA from BDS, and even Baja Lifts, but those arms are way more $$$. The Zone UCA was more towards the middle price-wise of the higher-end arms and Moog

The Zone UCA is definitely beefier than the option from Moog. You do need to weld on a steering stop to the LCA that I am not too keen on the idea. Ideally, I would get the BDS UCA to go with their 4" kit, but those arms are near the $800 mark where Zones are around $450. However, I am wondering if these Zone arms will be a bit more overkill than I need, and they are much more cost-wise than the Moogs. I did chat with the BDS tech line and the person there said they usually recommend just using stock control arms since all the correction has been made at the knuckle.

I plan to make my Tahoe and overland rig that will see mild to medium difficulty trails. However, since I will be rebuilding the front end anyway, I want to do it with the best possible parts and have the best possible capability outcomes without too much overkill.

Given the above, what direction would you swing, Zone vs Moog, and why?

Last edited:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@gmartin1215 Like the BDS tech said - The kit you are using is designed to use the factory control arm so you need to find an OEM style control arm, I recommend MOOG Problem solver. I redid my entire front end with Moog Problem Solver parts from Amazon last year and I have had nothing but good times with my truck since.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@gmartin1215 Like the BDS tech said - The kit you are using is designed to use the factory control arm so you need to find an OEM style control arm, I recommend MOOG Problem solver. I redid my entire front end with Moog Problem Solver parts from Amazon last year and I have had nothing but good times with my truck since.
Aren't you using RC UCA? What made you decide to use those over the Moog UCA?

Yeah, what the BDS tech told definitely has me leaning more toward the Moog UCA since it closely resembles the OEM UCA. I have to replace my UCAs anyway. However, if the Zones are supposed to stronger than OEM and have greater wheel travel, then wouldn't it make more sense to go with those over the Moogs? I like the idea to have greater wheel travel, but I am wondering if the Zone UCAs will be overkill for a 4" lift, and they are better suited for taller lifts.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aren't you using RC UCA? What made you decide to use those over the Moog UCA?

Yeah, what the BDS tech told definitely has me leaning more toward the Moog UCA since it closely resembles the OEM UCA. I have to replace my UCAs anyway. However, if the Zones are supposed to stronger than OEM and have greater wheel travel, then wouldn't it make more sense to go with those over the Moogs? I like the idea to have greater wheel travel, but I am wondering if the Zone UCAs will be overkill for a 4" lift, and they are better suited for taller lifts.
@gmartin1215 I went with the Rough Country Forged Upper control arms because they better fit my build, my upper ball joints were at an extreme angle and the RC upper arms now give me great upper balljoint angles. The Rough Country Upper control arms use MOOG ball joint by the way.

If you've done your research than maybe the Rough Country Forged Upper control arms would work great for you but as a random guy I don't want to suggest something that might not work in your specific use case.

You can always order 2 sets of upper control arms and then send back the set that doesn't fit properly, if you want to test aftermarket arms.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I decided to go with the Moog Problem Solver UCA. If these turn out to not be a great fit, then I'll look at upgrading later. However, I would like to do it right the first time since I'll have everything taken apart, instead of swapping out to something different later down the road.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks.
I decided to go with the Moog Problem Solver UCA. If these turn out to not be a great fit, then I'll look at upgrading later. However, I would like to do it right the first time since I'll have everything taken apart, instead of swapping out to something different later down the road.

Well you've made your decision. Those Moog uppers are good for about 80-100K on a stock truck. The GM OE, not ACDelco Professional, will last much longer, even on a lifted truck.

Our Sierra has a Zone 6.5" lift and it utilizes the original control arms, different angles not required. She's still running the original UCAs. Just changed mine at 162K. Really only one ball joint was bad but wanted to get it all over with, replaced the struts too. Speaking of struts, the Sierra has the longer Zone struts, not the spacers, much nicer ride.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel