Troubleshooting a problematic cruise control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2004 Tahoe LT here. I have a problem where my cruise control turns off when my headlights come on. Or... maybe when my parking lights come on with or without the headlights. I'm thinking headlights. If I am driving and have my cruise set, when the ambient light decreases to the point my headlights come on (I see my dash cluster light up), the cruise cuts out and doesn't work anymore. However, if I use my headlight switch to turn them off (by momentarily turning the knob to the left and seeing the indicator LED for the headlights go off), my cruise will work again - but dashlights remain on, so I assume the parking lights are still on.

LED tails - complete housing with built-in lights. These were installed in around 2010, shortly after I bought the truck. Assuming they had/have prewired resistors, as I never had any problems after installing them. Similar to these currently found on Ebay.

Headlights - Depo projector housings purchased on Amazon circa 2017 - unsure what bulbs currently in use.

DRL/parking/turn housings - I cannot find these in my history on Amazon or Ebay, this could be them. They are full LED, built-in. Both parking and DRLs are LED banks.

Hyperflash fix - used this module from Amazon. Fixed hyperflash, but not cruise issue.

Everyone says LED taillights will cause loss of cruise. But obviously this wouldn't be the case in my situation because the cruise works when I turn off the headlights, but my LED tails and all other parking lights/running lights are still functioning. In addition, I put the LED tails in over 10y ago and still had cruise control for many years afterward. I THINK the cruise probably stopped working sometime around the time I put in the LED parking/DRL/turn housings - I know it was after 2017 when I did the Depo headlights, because I was still working a job that required 3h of commuting daily. That would have caused me to set my truck on fire if I didn't have cruise control at that point. I switched jobs in May of 2018, so I am THINKING it was sometime after that. I can't say for sure.

Hmmm... now that I think about it, I bet I had those housings installed by my stereo guy in either Nov 2018 or July 2019 - both times when I left my truck with him when I went out of the country on vacations. So I'll bet it was sometime after that that I noticed the cruise control didn't work properly, but it seemed intermittent to me because it was only during low light situations, not realizing initially it was related to the headlights being on or off.

My question is, is it possible the parking/DRL housings could be causing this? Is it possible my use of the ISSYAUTO flasher module for the hyperflash fix isn't as good as the one most commonly recommended here which wasn't available at the time I bought mine?

Is there something else I should be doing to get my cruise working again? I might be open to replacing lights, but I will have to figure it out on my own as far as wiring goes - my install guy flew the coop to New York a couple of years ago. :(

<edit> Errrrmmmmm.... I just realized I might have inadvertently put this in the wrong section. If a mod can move it for me that would be great. Sorry.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LED's could maybe..... be the issue, having to use a blinker module to address hyperflash would mean either they have no resistors or the resistors are not working.
turning the headlights on (automatic or manual) changes the voltage in the harness

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you think additional drain from headlight wattage could be affecting things, even though these do not usually affect cruise from parking/bumper light changes? I guess I can see that. So adding a simple resistor might be my fix... hmm. Should be a simple thing to test - when the weather permits. lol

Ice last night, suppose to get 4-8 inches of snow this evening and tonight, so it'll be a while I suppose, before I can try it out. I can hope. Thanks for the idea!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you think additional drain from headlight wattage could be affecting things, even though these do not usually affect cruise from parking/bumper light changes? I guess I can see that. So adding a simple resistor might be my fix... hmm. Should be a simple thing to test - when the weather permits. lol

Ice last night, suppose to get 4-8 inches of snow this evening and tonight, so it'll be a while I suppose, before I can try it out. I can hope. Thanks for the idea!
ya it's been brought up before that the led tail lights can cause this issue, as to whether or not it would happen with headlights on/off I don't know but seems like a resistor would work if this is the case.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put self-contained rear taillights Leds in my 2002 Yukon three years ago and my cruise control quite working when auto head lights are on. Called vendor I purchased taillights off of and they sent resistors told me where to install and that didn't work either. I still just have cruise during day but at night no cruise.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put self-contained rear taillights Leds in my 2002 Yukon three years ago and my cruise control quite working when auto head lights are on. Called vendor I purchased taillights off of and they sent resistors told me where to install and that didn't work either. I still just have cruise during day but at night no cruise.
did you install the resistors on the brake lights or on the blinkers
and did you confirm the resistors are good?

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They had me put them on brake lights I also put the E28 led flasher in, I just tried that did not have the hyper flash everyone talks about.

OP
OP
tRidiot

tRidiot

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well that sounds very much like my problem! Except that my taillights were in for at minimum 6 or maybe 8 years before this problem developed, with cruise control working fine all that time.

Hmmmm... the plot thickens.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your taillights came with resistor in light maybe resistor went bad. You could try putting external resistor on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9