Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txsmainevent

"The Lurker"
Reaction score
I was taking off from a stop sign about a week ago, I hit the gas and it barely moved then caught and took off. Yesterday I am taking off from a stop and same thing but a little worse. Slipping tranny? Opinions?

If so this is the tipping point, think ill have to let it go...

03YukonLar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First make sure the fluid is at the correct level, even a slight bit low can make a difference.

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Next time it does it, return to a stop. Put the shifter in "1" and see if it pulls away like normal. If it goes just fine, shift into "2" ~2500-3000rpm and see if all is ok. Then at 2500-3000rpm again, pull the shifter into "3". All you're doing is manually shifting it.

If all that goes well, then your forward sprag is failing. Shifting manually like just described brings on the over-run clutches in each gear, which will functionally replace/reinforce the sprag. Borg Warner 29 element sprag is the best replacement.

If these tests do not pan out, post back and we'll go from there.

jem556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have noticed my 03 doing this a few times over the last 6 months or so...slipping when accelerating from a dead stop. Most all of the occurences involved pulling out on an uphill grade and wet pavement conditions as well. No issues at speed but I fear I have a major expense repair looming in my future... :whymewhyme:

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine did the same thing, acted like it was in neutral, then bam, when into gear....had to have tranny rebuilt.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack this post, but how hard is rebuilding a tranny? I mean, can a mechanically inclined person with a step by step manual do it?

OP
OP
T

txsmainevent

"The Lurker"
Reaction score
I'm just going to ride it till it breaks, I've paid insurance for 10 years now and never filed a claim. Think it's about time..... whenever the truck decides it doesn't want to go forward or backward....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper