Transmission won't engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1999 Tahoe 4x4. Gear lever will move, so not brake actuator thing under dash. It won't go into gear. It won't grab any of them. Rebuilt transmission driven on for less than a year. It gave no signs. Took off from light slowly and it grabbed for a split second then revved. Getting towed now. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtl111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the fluid smell burnt or look really dark? If so, I'd say the clutchs are cooked. If not, I'd have someone inside move the shifter into gear while you're under the truck and see if its actually moving the shift shaft on the transmission. You should hear it click with each gear. If it does, drop the pan and see if it's moving the lever inside, maybe something came loose. That's about all I've got, good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fluid is full and is perfectly red. No smell. Shifter is connected and moving. I'll update once I hear from shop, hopefully by this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so fluid was higher than full, which mechanic told me was a sign pump is bad. Transmission company is sending me new transmission free of charge as it was under a 1 year warranty and I was at 10mo. Should be here next week. $750 to take old one out and install new one.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Alright so fluid was higher than full, which mechanic told me was a sign pump is bad. Transmission company is sending me new transmission free of charge as it was under a 1 year warranty and I was at 10mo. Should be here next week. $750 to take old one out and install new one.
Too bad they don't take care of the labor too.

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, i bought it third party. Most of the time its nice that the shop I work with allows me to bring in my own aprts, but in this case, it hurts a little

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts