Thinking of Buying a 00-06 NBS Tahoe/Suburban? Look Here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcarver

Reaction score
01-02 8.1 vortec has 340hp/455tq.
Glass hatch lifter arms wear out over time
Don't forget stepper motors crapping out

Mighty Mouse

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't all the 6.0's and 8.1's have the 4l80e transmission. I don't think I saw the 4l80e mentioned anyplace.

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance we could get links to some writeups on basic maintenance/common repairs/etc?

I'm thinking water pump replacement, steering component replacement, brake job, e-brake adjustment, etc would be good to have all in one post.

dantheman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for this info.

i used it when hunting for my truck just recently. Helped me avoid some costly upfront repairs.

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
Do not buy a tahoe or yukon with castech heads, the castech heads are a timebomb and not a cheap fix. Do yourself a favor and google castech cylinder heads to educate yourself on the topic.

Monkeyman

Reaction score
Do not buy a tahoe or yukon with castech heads, the castech heads are a timebomb and not a cheap fix. Do yourself a favor and google castech cylinder heads to educate yourself on the topic.

Makes me think I don't want to bother with a Tahoe/Yukon. I spent the last 2 hours reading various thread/sites about the problematic Castech heads. I doubt anyone selling a truck is going to let me pull both valve covers and rocker arms just to see if those heads are on the truck and I sure wouldn't feel comfortable spending $10k thinking I might have to spend another $1500 minimum (assuming the problem hasn't been ongoing and I need a new motor). Maybe I'll wait a few more years until the NNBS prices come down to my budget.

doylee4693

Tahoe User
Reaction score
you dont have to pull the valve covers, I have no idea why everyone says you have to. anyway you can just look at the casting number on the passenger side of the cylinder head.706 heads are the number you dont want to see. Ive heard of castech making other casting numbers but a very very small amount of them. i wouldnt worry about it unless you have the 706 heads. These trucks are great so dont let the small percentage of castech heads throw you off. Just some advice for you and others as its something alot of people dont know.

Monkeyman

Reaction score
...you can just look at the casting number on the passenger side of the cylinder head.

Can you see that without removing anything? I don't suppose you have a pic showing exactly where the casting number is, do you?

commander strax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
48ls-vs-53ls-tea-heads.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076