Switching 18” tires/rims to 20” on 2017 TahoeLT 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apple Pie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am a newbie to this forum, but I searched a bit on this topic. I want to change out the factory rims and tires which are 18 “to 20“ rims and new tires. Are there any problems to look out for? Do I need to change speedo gear? I am looking for good riding, 4 season highway tire. Not sure of rim design yet, but hoping there will not be any rubbing problems to deal with. Tahoe is all factory with 34,000 miles. I am hoping this may smooth out the ride a bit.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie to this forum, but I searched a bit on this topic. I want to change out the factory rims and tires which are 18 “to 20“ rims and new tires. Are there any problems to look out for? Do I need to change speedo gear? I am looking for good riding, 4 season highway tire. Not sure of rim design yet, but hoping there will not be any rubbing problems to deal with. Tahoe is all factory with 34,000 miles. I am hoping this may smooth out the ride a bit.
If you keep the same height, you're speedometer and transmission calibrations will not be off. For example, your original tire size might have been 265-65-18. If you go to a 275-55-20, your tire height and diameter will be essentially the same and within specs with GM. Try to keep your offset the same too. GM used 31, 27 and 25 millimeter offsets depending on the wheel design, look at the back of your 18s or look them up online to see what that is.

If you opt for a taller tire, then yes, there may be some rubbing during full turns and your computers could benefit from re-calibrations. Lots of guys have run 33s and 34s on K2s with just a level and stock wheels on here.

RobH

Reaction score
If you keep the same overall tire diameter, with a wheel with a two inch greater diameter, 20 inches instead of 18 inches, you will have one inch less tire sidewall rubber between the road and your wheel. That may not improve the ride. It may make it harsher.

I am looking to replace my non-factory 20 inch wheels with the as-delivered standard 18 inch wheels when I get new tires. If I can find a set of new Tahoe takeoffs at a decent price, I may go that route. I know that I will have to replace the current TPMS with the previous generation TPMS to be compatible with my 2016 Tahoe.

FWIW and your ride may vary.
:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
22loweryak