Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cartier16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
03 Denali Awd. I have what sounds like a machine gum popping off in the front end when turning. More than likely cv related but I don’t want to just order axels to find out it’s joints as well. Haven’t had the time to lift the truck up and pull everything apart to diagnose. And helpful tips or info for me before I tackle this issue.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You don't need to pull everything apart to diagnose. May well be a torn boot allowing grease to sling out and now joint is dry and causing noise. When you drive straight at around 30 to 40 mph and do a slight turn left or right, do you hear "any" noise at all and if so, describe the noise. Also, like @Joseph Garcia said, a recording would be great.

OP
OP
Cartier16

Cartier16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, I ended up replacing both cv axels my passenger side cv definitely had so wear on the ball bearing but still have the issue. It was happening when I’d make a half steering wheel rotation but now with the new cv it’s only when I max out my steering for tight turns. I’ll get a sound clip

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I would bet that you hear that new noise inside the cab instead of from under the front. If I crank to max, either way, I hear a very slight click noise under my dash and have no worries. If you hear it from under the front, I would guess that you are hearing dry steering stops. When you turn hard left or right, the rear area of the knuckle will make contact at the outer edge of the lower control arm at the "steering stop". If those areas of contact are dry, they can make noise. Typically, you have to be moving to hear it but not always. just rub some grease at the contact points and see what happens. Do you have to be turned to steering stop to hear the noise or do you hear before that? You also may be hearing a noise from the steering sector shaft that is under the hood and attaches between the end of the steering column by the firewall and the steering gear box. Those are known to be noisy after many miles and can also get sloppy. Removal and separate and lube can fix that or replacement. If is that, you can also feel in the steering wheel as well as hear it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC