Strange TPMS behavior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dammad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 08 Yukon Denali is doing something strange with its TPMS sensors. I switched from winter to summer tires a month or so ago, but since the TPMS has only been intermittently working. Sometimes the dash shows up numbers and all seems fine. Other times it flashes the TPMS warning light and then goes solid and all the numbers are --?

I tried a re-learn procedure, but that was also strange. Normal procedure is key in RUN, parking brake on and both key fob buttons --> two chirps. But in my case, I only get two chirps if the parking brake is OFF? And even in this situation, when I deflate the first tire I get no chirp to confirm even after lowering it considerably for 30 seconds or more.

Anyone any pointers on what's going on?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had all mine quit working at once, new ACDelco sensors and they were working fine for a month. Same thing, just - - - on the dic and wouldn’t relearn by the inflation/ deflation method. I ended up using a cheap $15 TPMS relearn tool I bought off Amazon and it worked like a charm. Your batteries might be going bad too, they’re designed to last 10 years and can’t be replaced- you’ll need new sensors if that’s the case.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 08 Yukon Denali is doing something strange with its TPMS sensors. I switched from winter to summer tires a month or so ago, but since the TPMS has only been intermittently working. Sometimes the dash shows up numbers and all seems fine. Other times it flashes the TPMS warning light and then goes solid and all the numbers are --?

I tried a re-learn procedure, but that was also strange. Normal procedure is key in RUN, parking brake on and both key fob buttons --> two chirps. But in my case, I only get two chirps if the parking brake is OFF? And even in this situation, when I deflate the first tire I get no chirp to confirm even after lowering it considerably for 30 seconds or more.

Anyone any pointers on what's going on?

Sounds like the batteries are going/gone dead or there is interference from other remotes/sensors. Perform the relearn away from other vehicles with only one remote, like an empty parking lot. My experience with the sensors has been six and seven years, not ten.

This tool though is the best $8 I spent on the truck so far! No more fooling with getting the air pressure right after a tire rotation! This is the auction I bought mine from and the seller has gotten mighty proud of it but you can find it elsewhere for less:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TPMS-EL-50...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Same sitch here, 08 Yukon XL, the d/s front and rear get a mind of their own occasionally. Both were recently replaced w/ new eBay sensors.

The tire shops learning tool could read the sensors before they were installed. Two of the four had weak batteries. Another one recently recently unlearned itself.

Until the cheap tire relearn tool arrives, there’s no way to know if one of the recently installed sensors is a dud. Prior to one going bad, we had no issues for over 4 years. The most likely scenario is piss poor TPMS sensors from eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bfourman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m having issues with my sensors as well. They had been reading fine, randomly the RR sensor quit. I rotated the tires and bought the TPMS tool from amazon. Using the relearn procedure all but the LF sensor caused the horn to honk. This is the sensor that was rotated from RR. I get that the sensor is bad but now all tires show - - on the DIC. I have since driven ~ 60 miles and they all still show - - .

Any thoughts? I did the relearn twice with the same result. Every time the “good” sensors caused a horn honk as described in the procedure so they should have synced.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m having issues with my sensors as well. They had been reading fine, randomly the RR sensor quit. I rotated the tires and bought the TPMS tool from amazon. Using the relearn procedure all but the LF sensor caused the horn to honk. This is the sensor that was rotated from RR. I get that the sensor is bad but now all tires show - - on the DIC. I have since driven ~ 60 miles and they all still show - - .

Any thoughts? I did the relearn twice with the same result. Every time the “good” sensors caused a horn honk as described in the procedure so they should have synced.
You do know you’re supposed to start at the LF to relearn them? How do you proceed to the others if that one doesn’t cause the horn to honk? You need to start there so the system knows which one is which. LF, RF, RR and finally LR is the correct procedure.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do know you’re supposed to start at the LF to relearn them? How do you proceed to the others if that one doesn’t cause the horn to honk? You need to start there so the system knows which one is which. LF, RF, RR and finally LR is the correct procedure.
And my blinker lights up steady on the corner you’re supposed be at during the entire procedure

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of years ago the tire store tried to reset the sensors and then I did at home, no joy. Calmed down, went inside and came back out the next morning and was able to get the relearn to work properly. Why did we all have so much trouble? Not really sure. There were other GM cars at the tire shop and the manager had the keys and remote to his own Yukon in his pocket.

The cool thing about the relearn as Pete and Mark mentioned is that the horn beeps to start and lets you know when the sensor has successfully relearned by a chirp of the horn and the turn signal light going out on the wheel you just finished and lighting up the next to be done. Must be done in order, must be done in two minutes. LF, RF, RR, LR.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos