Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecoli_23

Reaction score
ok fishing for ideas here.....
2000 yukon/denali 5.7...
steering swims a little bit on the highway, and when i turn hard left i hear a loud thunk and again when i straighten back out...im assuming it needs an alignment as the wheel is a little cockeyed when going straight..... on the thunk, if feels like a knuckle popping when i like tun into my drive way and again when i straighten out...thanks for any ideas...

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
You need to get it up in the air and give it a shakedown

To check the control arms, lift the front wheel off the ground by the LCA, then stick a 2/4 or similar under it and jiggle it up and down. need to check those at ride height with no load, that's how you do it.

Everything else... Either jack the vehicle up and safely support it, then grab, wobble, and shake EVERYTHING, or leave it on the ground and have a second person jiggling the steering wheel back and forth.

Note that if you replace anything related to suspension, you will need an alignment. Don't drive the thing and "get to it later." Seriously.

if you're uncomfortable doing this yourself, or feel iffy when it comes to tackling suspension work, most any alignment shop will provide you with a steering/suspension inspection. Bring it in, let them know your symptoms, and they can take it from there. Diagnosis, parts replacement, and the final alignment.

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used something similar every time I would turn, I had this thud sound when turning it felt like the knuckles were being softly tapped with a hammer multiple times when coming in and out of turns, Jacked it up and it ended up being pitman, arm, and idler arm bracket. That is why it is important to do the checks Snowdrifter described above, If you want to save time and money take it to an alignment shop, and they will tell you everything that is wrong with your suspension, I would take that diagnosis and take it to your own mechanic to do the work, unless you don't mind paying a fortune and have them do the work, depending on what is wrong.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
09 Tahoe Hybrid. I have the thunk and alignment guy says it is the steering rack bushings. I cannot find a replacement for the large split rubber bushing under the metal bracket on the passenger end of the rack. Dealership says they do Not show a part number for that bushing for the Hybrid models with the Electric rack. Offered to sell me a new electric rack for around 2k Haha. I am wondering if the one on the nonhybrid std hydraulic steering rack would fit regardless of what the part book says? Would anyone out there that has a NonHybrid 2007 through 2013 Tahoe Yukon or Escalade care to put a caliper on their steering rack right at the passenger side mount to see what size the rack body is? Help a brother out man LOL. I will check mine tomorrow for comparison, it is raining cats and dogs out there right now. I never thought about this being such a hassle to find a simple bushing.
If size measures the same I will get one that is listed for the hydraulic nonhybrid unit and try it. Makes no sense that they would change that mount when the drivers side end is identical on the bolt through bushings on both Hybrid and Nonhybrid models......
IMG_7610.jpg

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that and yes that does say it will fit the hybrid but I hated to order it unless I really knew it would work. If I can confirm the OD matches between the Electric and hydraulic units I will probably just get the rubber bushing for 10 bucks instead of the entire set. No detectable play in the bolt through bushings on mine. After researching a bit I see that the bolt through bushings are press in/out so it would involve complete rack removal! The rubber one is super easy like a 15 min job if I can find one that fits. Alignment dude says that is what it needs just that one.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK doing a bit more research and I have gathered the following data. Called a couple dealership parts department they do list the large rubber bushing for the Hydraulic NonHybrid models but say that it is not a separate part on the Hybrid wit Electric steering rack? It looks like the rack body on mine is 2 7/16" Outside diameter. I am going to go try to find and check a NonHybrid if I can find one somewhere. If it is 2 7/16" O.D. the silly bushing should work! Here is a YouTuibe of the issue. When this bushing wears and gets loose allowing the rack to move your toe constantly changes creaing some bad wear in front tires plus a slight thump at times.
Pretty silly to repalce the entire rack due to a bad rubber bushing
Got a couple of pics of the area and my pattern to check size. heistant to take it apart just yet until I have a possible replacement in hand. SOMEONE has to have run into this issue in the past???
IMG_7609.jpg IMG_7626.jpg IMG_7631.jpg

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
None of my local dealers carry the part in stock (well one had it but over 50 miles one way LOL) The std hydraulic steering rack is the same size 2 7/16" as mine on the 09 Tahoe Hybrid Electric steering rack. So ordered a rubber bushing Genuine GM Part Number 22960484. Will be here May 10th. IF IT DOES NOT FIT I WILL BE BACK TO WARN YOU IF THIS IS NOT UPDATED EVERYTHING IS COOL AND GET YOU A GENUINE GM PART NUMBER 22960484 Bushing for your 2007 thru 2013 hybrid passemger side steering rack support no matter what the dealer parts guy says......I hope I do not have to update LOL.
I did check a std hydraulic rack at the auto parts to determine the rack body Outsdie Diameter and it is 2 7/16" same as the electric rack on the hybrid.
IMG_7632.jpg

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang it the new Bushing AC Delco part #22960484 DOES NOT FIT the Hybrid electric steering rack braket, the diameter is good but the width is too narrow on the new piece. (see pics below) I have the old bushing pulled off (marked NR+BR-0-S4532-B7010-A and it is much wider approx 1/2". Very disappointing! Back to square one on the parts search. I am going to attempt to cut some brass shim stock to tighten the old one up and reinstall it for now until I can get a replacement. I have contacted a steering rack remanufacturing company to see if they will special order me a bushing. I will update on the temporary fix and success or failure of getting the special bushing separately as progress is made.

IMG_7676.jpg IMG_7677.jpg IMG_7678.jpg IMG_7679.jpg

JetBlackNali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do wish this works out for you, but I don't think any of this helped the original poster with his problem with an entirely different steering system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep