Steering

Discussion in 'Street Suspension' started by ecoli_23, Oct 12, 2018.

Sponsored By: DJM Belltech
  1. ecoli_23

ecoli_23 TYF Newbie

Name:
    ric
    ok fishing for ideas here.....
    2000 yukon/denali 5.7...
    steering swims a little bit on the highway, and when i turn hard left i hear a loud thunk and again when i straighten back out...im assuming it needs an alignment as the wheel is a little cockeyed when going straight..... on the thunk, if feels like a knuckle popping when i like tun into my drive way and again when i straighten out...thanks for any ideas...

2. SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    You need to get it up in the air and give it a shakedown

To check the control arms, lift the front wheel off the ground by the LCA, then stick a 2/4 or similar under it and jiggle it up and down. need to check those at ride height with no load, that's how you do it.

Everything else... Either jack the vehicle up and safely support it, then grab, wobble, and shake EVERYTHING, or leave it on the ground and have a second person jiggling the steering wheel back and forth.

Note that if you replace anything related to suspension, you will need an alignment. Don't drive the thing and "get to it later." Seriously.

if you're uncomfortable doing this yourself, or feel iffy when it comes to tackling suspension work, most any alignment shop will provide you with a steering/suspension inspection. Bring it in, let them know your symptoms, and they can take it from there. Diagnosis, parts replacement, and the final alignment.

ecoli_23 likes this.
  3. Erickk120

Erickk120 Member

Name:
    Eric
    I used something similar every time I would turn, I had this thud sound when turning it felt like the knuckles were being softly tapped with a hammer multiple times when coming in and out of turns, Jacked it up and it ended up being pitman, arm, and idler arm bracket. That is why it is important to do the checks Snowdrifter described above, If you want to save time and money take it to an alignment shop, and they will tell you everything that is wrong with your suspension, I would take that diagnosis and take it to your own mechanic to do the work, unless you don't mind paying a fortune and have them do the work, depending on what is wrong.

ecoli_23 likes this.