Steering Wheel - Too Far?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else find the steering wheel position awkward? It’s the only thing I don’t really like about my wife’s 2024 Yukon XL SLT. I’m nearly 6’4… and if I put the seat the whole way back, my arms are basically straight out to grab the wheel. I do not have the driver seat the whole way back because of this, but I still find it awkward with how little the steering wheel comes out. I much prefer the steering wheel set up in my F150 and having driven the Expedition, I would say the same about that too. It really doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Wondering if anyone else feels the same?

BacDoc

Reaction score
I have regular size Tahoe and at 6’2” I have more than enough room to extend arms and my exit memory position is way too far back to drive.

Maybe something is restricting seat travel? I would check the passenger side to see if that has more room to go back.

OP
OP
J

JayceeP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess what I am saying is I find the steering wheel doesn’t come out far enough (toward the rear of the vehicle). I’m 6’4 and shouldn’t need to extend my arms fully just to reach the steering wheel. It’s not a comfortable driving set up at all and I need to slide the driver seat forward to make it less awkward, but more my knees are bent more than I’d like while driving.

zbad55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me and being 6'3" I really don't have any issue in my yukon denali, but then I like to have my seat a little closer. I guess it's just how you like sitting in relation to the pedals. Which in turn will affect the reach to the steering wheel.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... guess what I am saying is I find the steering wheel doesn’t come out far enough (toward the rear of the vehicle).
I’m 6’4 and shouldn’t need to extend my arms fully just to reach the steering wheel.
It’s not a comfortable driving set up at all ...
So, the steering wheel housing is not adjustable for reach?

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am also 6’4, and I agree, I’d prefer if the telescoping steering wheel had a bit more travel/reach (away from the dash) as well. My guess is it is a safety thing, keeping you further away from the wheel.

BrotriX

Reaction score
I agree. The steering wheel/column should telescope out further toward the seat and the pedals should be adjustable in a vehicle the size. Also, the steering wheel thickness feels puny for such a large vehicle. But that’s another issue.

tooleyondeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. The steering wheel/column should telescope out further toward the seat and the pedals should be adjustable in a vehicle the size. Also, the steering wheel thickness feels puny for such a large vehicle. But that’s another issue.
The pedals aren't' adjustable in the new body style?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truckn02