Squeal while braking/turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon xl Denali. I’ve got an annoying minor squeal when I initially apply braking pressure that quickly goes away after initial contact. It also squeals when driving around a corner to the left without braking. I haven’t noticed it when turning to the right. What should I be checking for? The front hub assemblies were replaced around 3 years ago. Truck has 185k in the clock. Recent replacement of upper control arm and alignment.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
2008 Yukon xl Denali. I’ve got an annoying minor squeal when I initially apply braking pressure that quickly goes away after initial contact. It also squeals when driving around a corner to the left without braking. I haven’t noticed it when turning to the right. What should I be checking for? The front hub assemblies were replaced around 3 years ago. Truck has 185k in the clock. Recent replacement of upper control arm and alignment.
I’d check your calipers/pads to make sure you don’t have one hanging up on you.

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I Checked the hubs front and back. If anything, the back passenger hub has a tiny bit of clunk. I’ll put that on the list. All the wheels seemed to turn alright. Didn’t seem to be any excess grinding and each wheel could be spun around a half turn by spinning in with moderate force and letting go. While driving, the squeal didn’t come around until I began gently braking. Then it seemed to be whenever I applied AND released the brakes gently. Afterwards the squealing would intermittently come back but was consistent with braking. I took a short video of it so you guys can hear what I’m hearing.

The very first part and initial squealing sound is hard to hear but I am driving up a small incline with no brakes. After the first 10-15 seconds, all the subsequent squealing is with me applying and releasing the brakes.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pads are probably not wearing evenly. The spring clips may be wore out and or the guide pins may need servicing. Are the calipers original still?

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calipers are original. Last time I replaced the pads and rotors, I cleaned and lubed the pins and boots thoroughly. I did those probably 2 years ago.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Calipers are original. Last time I replaced the pads and rotors, I cleaned and lubed the pins and boots thoroughly. I did those probably 2 years ago.
Well, you ought to pull the wheels and inspect the pins, boots and slides (spring clips) and note any uneven wear.

About six years ago GM came out with drag reduction clips which helps keep the pads off the rotors:

18K1025SS or 19297220 and 18K1027SS or 19297222

OP
OP
O

optimusprime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks swathdiver. I’ll check those out and see if that’s the issue. Are those clips simple plug and play into my old brake components or do I need to replace everything if that’s the issue?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks swathdiver. I’ll check those out and see if that’s the issue. Are those clips simple plug and play into my old brake components or do I need to replace everything if that’s the issue?
Plug and play, you flip up the caliper and install them around the pads on each end. Then flip down the caliper and bolt it back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879