Spraying the grill

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sidthekid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wondering if anybody tried painting their grill and what methods did you use. Did you have to rough it with sandpaper or just prime it and spray. I'm going for black and painting would sure beat replacing it. Thanks. I'll post pics of my progress later.

TIM Z

DMAX Power
Reaction score
Dont use sand paper.

Use a red scotch brite pad to scuff it up.

Then take a wet rag with rubbing alcohol and wipe it down.

after its dry use your fav color and put on multiple light coates.

Good luck!

1weasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive read that certain houshold chems will take off the chrome plating on the plastic without harming it. That way, when the paint that you use chips, it won't show through.

OP
OP
sidthekid

sidthekid

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the advice...I also have a chrome brush guard I am trying to black out. I sprayed it with rustoleum bed liner spray but it seems to rub off in spots. Is chrome treated differently or does it need to be prepped before spraying. Thanks for all the great info, Mike. Will post pics tomorrow.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Follow TIM Z's advice, it's what I should have done when I did my grille black ha. When I get my custom wincher bumper on I'll be sure to have the grille off and follow His instructions.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would hit the SEARCH button...almost dure I did a write up.

Mine was a BILLET GRIll.

Chrome you ETCH to get paint to ADHere to it. I'd try the scotch pad. Multiple layers of paint.

Before:
DSC00616.jpg

After: Actually right after the paint dryed and installed IMMED PIC
blackoutgrill.jpg

More Pics:
DSC00672.jpg
DSC00674.jpg
1103091444.jpg

Final Front End Shot
DSC00694.gif

Forum statistics

Threads