SoCal Newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

whiteLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie here from SoCal and looking for some help on my 04 Tahoe.

Just got my ride about 3 week ago and I'm loving the power of V8 however, the front end clunking noise and window rattle when its all the way down is a bit irritating. I am hoping I can do the window noise DIY before hitting up the stealership and maybe have the front end clunking noise inexpensive would much be appreciated.

jeffyrc

Bow Tie For Life
Reaction score
Where in so cal are you from? The noise from the front end, does it sound like it’s in the engine or does it sound like something could be loose? I would crawl under there and see if you could find something that’s loose. You never know you might find it and save you some cash and put it towards some modds. Welcome to the neighborhood!!!

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the neighborhood!

Can you feel the clunking through the wheel? Where does it sound like it is coming from, ie: right side, left side, close to you away from you, etc. There are several things it could be. If it feels and sounds very close to the wheel it could be the steering intermediate shaft as that is a common issue, it would need to be either greased or replaced.

To check other things, have a friend sit inthe drivers seat and turn the wheel both ways while you look under the truck at the steering linkage and make sure that there is zero play up and down in the idler and pitman arms, if there is any play at all they both need to be replaced.

Then lift the front end and grab each of the front wheels at 12 and 6 o'clock and see if there is any play up and down, side to side play is normal, but there should be zero up and down play. if there is play present then you need to replace the hub bearings.

Once you have checked that stuff, with the front end still off the ground, place a large and long "tank bar" under the lower control arms on each side and try to pry them up to see of there is play in the lower ball joint. If the ball joint moves independently of the control arm at all then they need replaced.

hope this helps.

OP
OP
W

whiteLT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I finally went have them done from my local dealer, it was the ISS and I just have them replaced for less than 2 1/2 bucks that wasn't bad after all and got rid off the annoying noise, he also told me that my window rattle noise could be only a loose element parts, I could probably do this myself then throttle and injector cleaning to get the most out the V8...Man! can't wait anymore, I want those deng 24's...Thanks to you guys advised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewM23