So now GM is going to start charging us for software updates??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just received this email:

"Doug, your Super CruiseTM hands-free driver assistance technology just got better. Update your Super Cruise experience by adding Automatic Lane Change and Trailering Upgrades for $700. Innovative Vehicle Software Updates and Upgrades like these from OnStar® help to ensure your Escalade can get better over time — because Better Never Stops.

After your purchase, keep an eye on your center display for a vehicle software update. Accept the update to install and enable hands-free Automatic Lane Change and Trailering for Super Cruise in your Escalade."

First they need to fix my backup camera guidelines that they broke with their last OTA update.

UsualSuspect

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you only pay the $700 if you want to add lane changes while towing a trailer. If you don't pay it, you just won't have the trailering add on for lane changes. Then again, I am not sure I would use SuperCruise if I am towing.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I don’t agree with it, people have to start getting out of the mindset that once they buy something anything that goes with it or improves it should be free for life.
Those days are rapidly coming to a close. Within a few years, anything worth having is going to be on a pay to play format, and it will increase to all manufacturers. It’s just another revenue stream. And they all smell it….

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you only pay the $700 if you want to add lane changes while towing a trailer. If you don't pay it, you just won't have the trailering add on for lane changes. Then again, I am not sure I would use SuperCruise if I am towing.
That's true, but they are calling it an update, not a new version. I just wonder if this will be a trend with upcoming updates.

Actually, I wish I hadn't accepted the last update because it broke the guidelines on my backup camera. Before the update they were fine, afterwards the on/off icon is stuck ON and won't change, but there are no guidelines. There has been a TSB since last September that says it's a software bug, but the dealer said there is no fix yet and they have a lot of customers that this has happened to, including brand new 2023's. And GM's service software won't let the dealer roll it back. It seems to me that since they know this update broke it they could just release the previous version under an updated version number until they figure out what they did wrong, but apparently we're not worth the effort.

Sorry for the rant, I'm a bit annoyed with the the update issues right now.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I don’t agree with it, people have to start getting out of the mindset that once they buy something anything that goes with it or improves it should be free for life.
Those days are rapidly coming to a close. Within a few years, anything worth having is going to be on a pay to play format, and it will increase to all manufacturers. It’s just another revenue stream. And they all smell it….
I gave in with Quicken but not Office or anybody else. BMW and Toyota have tried doing this and have had to reverse themselves a time or two but hear they keep trying.

In Doug's case, that sounds like an optional one-time update and he'll have access to it for the life of the vehicle once downloaded and made operational.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I don't buy new.

I don't do subscriptions. Period.

I went to LibreOffice ... all free and all of anything Office could offer me.

I went up to Quicken 13, the latest before pay to play.

OP
OP
DougAMiller

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, wait till you see the upcharges for ultra cruise
Yep, I thought about that after getting this email. Given how much they want just to add lane change and towing, I don't even want to know what they'll want for UltraCruise. Those two features certainly aren't worth $700 to me.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I don't buy new.

I don't do subscriptions. Period.

I went to LibreOffice ... all free and all of anything Office could offer me.

I went up to Quicken 13, the latest before pay to play.
Microsoft Money sunset edition is excellent for my needs, and its free as well. The more shit they put in these trucks, the less I wanna "upgrade" to a new model. I think music streaming/AA was about the final upgrade I had to have electronic wise; it seems everything else now is just excess glitchy crap bound to fail...

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ I don't do music of any kind (or anything else) when I'm on the road. I can't remember the last time I even had a radio on in a vehicle. I haven't even tried this one to see if it works. I want to be able to hear the vehicle, the road, and whatever else is happening around me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos