Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coffeyman76

Reaction score
It's funny (or not) listening to the stories of driving into garages with the boxes on. My old neighbors wife did it twice over the years I think in various parking decks. He yelled and cussed so much until he did it himself about 4 months later when borrowing her vehicle. Ha!

Anyways he did a fab job using some sort of proximity sensor. I actually think it was the wireless backup aftermarket cameras wired in to the front of the box somehow. I never studied the details but it looked like a pretty sweet setup and was barely noticeable. Not sure how it was wired, he may have brought a tiny wire in through the window during box travel times or it possibly used batteries (sorry I should know more details!). He said it worked well and only gave him some false alarms when going through drive thru's, toll boths, etc. which he was fine with.

There is a place called Heads Up that actually produces a product just for this but I think it is only for you house and runs on 2.4 Ghz connection. For that a strip of blue painters tape would work fine, it is the times you are out of town or running around away from the house it is needed.

I know there are a bunch of folks here with good imaginations and skillz for that sort of thing, could be cheap safety measure given the costs of those dang boxes!

OP and follow up - both vehicles look great.

vp46

Reaction score
X2 - I also want some crossbars, but it seems that they think the OEM ones are made of gold ($160-$200 for two rails). Maybe this price is what it is...

Agreed! at 70k+ I'd honestly expected it to come with. It seems they are addicted to this sort of mindless income....

OP
OP
zolt11

zolt11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my crossbars are oem from gmc, ordered it when I ordered the truck as I knew it would have a thule on top. Mine are black and have held up well. When truck was brand new one was loose I tried to tighten it but screw was striped. Brought it to gmc and they replaced the broken one no charge. seems very secure. Between the box and rails holds lots of weight and stuff.

cost was $180 prob get cheaper from somewhere else?

Reaction score
Zolt do u have any pictures of crossbars? Any additional noise issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TerryKing

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone had roof rack on and off Tahoe??

Need info on the attaching hardware!

Mine has no roof rack, just 5 holes each side with plastic plugs.

The hole is a hex shape, 5/16" across.

What type of fastener is used for these?? I want to make my own rack like I did on my old Yukon. It had no factory hole, so I made my own :)

Any advice, pointers, suppliers appreciated!

Regards, Terry King
...In The Woods in Vermont, USA
[email protected]

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Terry, I suggest getting the OEM roof rack crossbars. I found them for $125 brand new on ebay. The dealer will charge you over $200 for the same parts. Took me about 30 minutes to install the crossbars, it was super easy and they came with all the tools. They made mounting our Thule 625 Force XL box a breeze:

15458521654_8b82c1dd60_c.jpgUntitled by ebelp, on Flickr

16055035596_e04b635a5e_c.jpgUntitled by ebelp, on Flickr

OP
OP
zolt11

zolt11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Zolt do u have any pictures of crossbars? Any additional noise issues?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The crossbars are oem, very little noise with thule on top barely know its there. Truck does a great job keeping it a quiet ride. I will try to take and share pics later..

ebelp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bars alone don't create any noise. Even with the Thule box, you can barely hear some wind noise.

20hoe3

Reaction score
Finally got roof rack on the truck. Biggest size that Thule offers. Hope everything fits!

That looks clean!!! Question, I just bought the Yakima Skybox which i think comes to 7.75ft total on vehicle. (it's still coming in mail) did you drive into any parking structure or drive thru clearance issues? And how is the wind noise. if any?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zrjo