Removing the factory installed Roof Rack rails?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a dealer that has an available Tahoe sitting at 3000 with a TPW of March (dealer stock) - when looking at the list of build codes, noticed that it had the roof rack rails included...which to each their own, but its not an option we'd order.

From what I can tell, they are supposed to be removable - anybody that has them, can they be removed and if so, is there a spot on the connecting rails where you can tell they have been removed?

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean the cross bars? If so, yes they just clamp onto the rails and lock. Easy to remove and you would never know they had been there.

Maybe someone can chime in on the rails .. removing them is probably more involved (think i read somewhere dropping headliner might be involved?)

drmoose

Reaction score
Haven't taken them off yet, but installed them myself. They were REALLY easy to install. So much easier that Thule. They don't look quiet as sporty, and sit a bit higher off the roof than Thule, but they are really well made/designed, and look pretty nice. I am assuming taking them off is as easy as putting them on, probably easier since you don't have to worry about roof position for whatever you are putting on. I'd guess it would take 5 minutes. With a ladder.

They are pretty useful to have, and if you don't want hem I am guessing they'd be pretty easy to sell for a small discount over retail - they are like ~$495 retail (+tax), although I got mine at the xmas sale, and used my points, so they were a lot cheaper.

OP
OP
T

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry - i left out the "cross" part - i was trying to build a similar vehicle on Chevy's website and finally figured out it was the optional "cross" rails - was thinking the Z82 trailer package was an option

appreciate the feedback - not crazy about paying $500 for an option we'll never use but we went ahead and put our name on it without knowing 100% - knew the color, trim and luxury package...main options we were concerned with

NYisles1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry - i left out the "cross" part - i was trying to build a similar vehicle on Chevy's website and finally figured out it was the optional "cross" rails - was thinking the Z82 trailer package was an option

appreciate the feedback - not crazy about paying $500 for an option we'll never use but we went ahead and put our name on it without knowing 100% - knew the color, trim and luxury package...main options we were concerned with
You would probably be able to sell the cross rails online pretty easily and recoup a decent portion of that price.

the understudy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe even try just returning them to the part department when you take delivery. Worth a shot considering what you're paying for a new car.

alexisann3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have a dealer that has an available Tahoe sitting at 3000 with a TPW of March (dealer stock) - when looking at the list of build codes, noticed that it had the roof rack rails included...which to each their own, but its not an option we'd order.

From what I can tell, they are supposed to be removable - anybody that has them, can they be removed and if so, is there a spot on the connecting rails where you can tell they have been removed?
Did you figure out how to remove the factory roof rails on the 2021 Tahoe ? I want to take mine off but can’t find any video on it .

drmoose

Reaction score
If you are talking about the (cross) bars that attach to the rails, you’d need a key to unlock, which will allow you to lift up on the flap. That will release the clamp and allow you to lift the bar off that side. Do this x4.

If you are talking about the rails that run from front to back, I doubt they can be removed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n