Removal of rear taillights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hard is it to remove rear tail lights in a 21+ Yukon? Want to try something but if that’s a huge job, forget it…….

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@StephenPT That looks good... what about the light on the tailgate?

Thank you!
That one looks to be a pretty big job. Those lights are held on by screws/nuts and the only way to get access is to remove the upper tailgate trim panel (the piece that is body color and also holds the chrome trim, backup camera, etc.) In order to get that trim panel off, you need to take off all the plastic interior tailgate trim. Lots of pieces to remove to get that dinky little light off...

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one looks to be a pretty big job. Those lights are held on by screws/nuts and the only way to get access is to remove the upper tailgate trim panel (the piece that is body color and also holds the chrome trim, backup camera, etc.) In order to get that trim panel off, you need to take off all the plastic interior tailgate trim. Lots of pieces to remove to get that dinky little light off...
Ok... I believe it and thank you...!

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've done it for the Tahoe and it's not that bad. Only risky part is losing the bottom screw that holds the tail light in.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have my local upfitter do it. They have done this many times and know how to do it with confidence...

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done it for the Tahoe and it's not that bad. Only risky part is losing the bottom screw that holds the tail light in.
I’m not talking about the primary taillight. That one is easy enough. It’s the marker light that is part of the tailgate and is only on the Yukon requires a major disassembly of the tailgate trim to remove. That light is not on a Tahoe.

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not talking about the primary taillight. That one is easy enough. It’s the marker light that is part of the tailgate and is only on the Yukon requires a major disassembly of the tailgate trim to remove. That light is not on a Tahoe.

Ah yeah, I bet that is a PITA.

OP
OP
Stbentoak

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
has anything changed in the taillights between 2021 and 2023?
I'm Swapping mine for a 2023. Getting too much local flak from other vehicles and even LEO on not being able to see my brake lights thru smoked lenses. Not Illegal, but not desirable either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon

Latest posts