Recognizing Vibration/Buffetting Problems During Test Drive---2016 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silberwolfen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I apologize in advance that I am starting another thread on this topic, but I'm trying to figure this out. My last Tahoe was a 2004 Z71, so I've been away form the forums for a while. My only issue with that was the old "clunk". Upon my return I saw all of these threads about the vibration and wind-buffeting. Wow. I realize that this stuff occurs in a small number of cases, but it's enough that it has my attention.

The 2016 Z71 that I am looking at has the 18" wheels (obviously) and it does have the sunroof. I am planning on taking it out to the highway and spending some time at cruising speeds. But are there any tell-tale signs that a vehicle is going to have this buffetting/vibration problem? Would I be able to recognize it during a 60 minute test drive? Does the addition of the sunroof add to the problem? If I have the thing out on the highway will these things appear to me in obvious ways? Or is it something that develops over time?

Just trying to do a reality check on this, so I am dialed in with my head on a swivel during the test drive and not getting distracted by the sales guy talking about the Superbowl.

Regards,
John

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Generally need to get it above 75 to experience the vibration so make sure you have a highway lined up for the ride. Also try to find a dirt road or beat up backroad to see if it 'booms' over rough patches/holes.

Droning happens between 30-50 usually but maybe others can add detail on that. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Silberwolfen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Generally need to get it above 75 to experience the vibration so make sure you have a highway lined up for the ride. Also try to find a dirt road or beat up backroad to see if it 'booms' over rough patches/holes.

Droning happens between 30-50 usually but maybe others can add detail on that. Good luck

Thanks Cardude!

FogDucker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agreed with Cardude for vibration. I particularly felt it in the steering wheel.

Buffeting occurs at 40mph and 70mph [+- 5mph] on any road surface.

Booming occurs on uneven roads such as grave or snow covered roads.

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely take it on a rougher part of road, I just drove mine on the highway so all seemed well. After taking it home I noticed on rough uneven roads I am a victim of the dreaded boom. Also have a bit of droning from the afm at 50mph. Currently at the dealer to see if anything can be done. Drives my ears crazy sometimes.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely take it on a rougher part of road, I just drove mine on the highway so all seemed well. After taking it home I noticed on rough uneven roads I am a victim of the dreaded boom. Also have a bit of droning from the afm at 50mph. Currently at the dealer to see if anything can be done. Drives my ears crazy sometimes.

Any luck?

Cha0s13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately no. Just give me bulletins that state GM engineers are aware of the issue but do not have a fix for it ;(.