Rear Seat Rattle - Fix Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On washboard roads I’m getting a hellacious metal clatter/rattle from the passenger mid-row seat. Up/Down it makes no difference. Seems to be the floor latches and possibly the hinge joint.

Anyone seen anything similar? My 2015 Tahoe sorta did this in Hawaii (horrific roads), but I haven’t seen a similar issue in this Suburban in the last 50k miles.

Love to hear any DIY ideas before I throw a ton of attention at it.
FCEFCF8F-C3AD-490C-9AEE-27A3809675D6.jpeg

Denali Brad

Reaction score
I have a 2016 that does the same thing. Tried adjusting the floor loops to no avail. Finally took an old washcloth, threw it over both loops, and slammed the seat down on it. Problem solved. I think the problem is there is play between the floor loops and the latches on the bottom of the seats.

Bought a black washcloth to match the carpet...not the best solution, but I got tired of screwing with it.

OP
OP
Tylus

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s along the lines of my fix it idea. I’ve got some 1/8” rubber sheeting. Just zip tie a chunk and let it ride. Lol

Reminds me of the driver seat “clunk” repair

aliahsan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On washboard roads I’m getting a hellacious metal clatter/rattle from the passenger mid-row seat. Up/Down it makes no difference. Seems to be the floor latches and possibly the hinge joint.

Anyone seen anything similar? My 2015 Tahoe sorta did this in Hawaii (horrific roads), but I haven’t seen a similar issue in this Suburban in the last 50k miles.

Love to hear any DIY ideas before I throw a ton of attention at it.
View attachment 380559
Hi Tylus, had similar issues with my Chevy Tahoe 2018 LS ( imported from Qatar to Kuwait). However my rattle would go away if I had the seat folded down.

The issue was found to be with the bench seat (40% side). The issue was that there was frame rattle inside the seat backrest where you would place you back/spine.

I had to uncover/stirp and unfoam the seat to bare steel frame and found the rattle coming from the welded frame plates, sorry don't have any pictures for this.

This noise was continuous and would even come when driving on smooth roads. This was driving me crazy.

The solution was to jam pack the gaps between the two frame plates to stop them from rattle. I had a guy put seat fabric material pushed in between all around the gaps of the frame.

This guy told me that the frame rattle was due to some suspected spot weld failures.

The reason I am sharing this is to remedy others pain, the same I went through.

Hope this helps.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unbolt the bolts that hold down the 2nd-row seats usually the rear bolts then get 2 washers and put them in. Tighten up the bolts with the washers in place and the problem should be solved.

tipsykraken

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I followed the idea with the washers under the 2nd row seat brackets. worked like a charm. Dealership quoted $2k to “rebuild the seats” and fix the rattle.

~2015 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 4WD, 130K miles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33