Rattle in the steering intermediate shaft? GMT900 NNBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
The only results I found in searching pertained to older models. Just wondering if anyone has experienced a rattle or small clunking in the intermediate steering shaft on these?

After I fixed all the significant rattles, like ball joints, I noticed a consistent slight rattle felt only in the steering wheel when I hit a rough surface. There’s no play in the steering wheel itself, but I can find some side play in the intermediate shaft under the brake booster. Looks like I need to replace the shaft assembly, or maybe just a bearing? Any experience or knowledge on this is much appreciated.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may have solved your own problem. My Yukon reacts differently to certain road surfaces. I started noticing vibrations, clunking sounds and rattles, but only intermittently. I checked her out and everything seemed tight and in line. That's when I started noticing that these "weird" sounds only happened when I went over certain parts of certain roads. There is one patch of highway out by Aloha Stadium, going town bound (East). that swoops down to the right that when I go over it the truck feels like it has hit a small rumble strip. Happens every morning unless I have enough coffee and traffic allows me to get in the outer lane. When I go to the outer lane, same speed, same direction, nothing happens. The roads out here really suck. They are not maintained and in some places it's like 4 wheeling the pot holes and lousy patches are so bad. There's even a form you can fill out if your vehicle is damaged by "The Road" and the state will reimburse you. That's bad. I've learned to avoid the bad stretches' of road. It keeps you on your toes!

OP
OP
B

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Thanks @PNW VietVet for the part number references. It must be the upper section, that’s where I find the side play. The lower section by the rack seems tight.

I have seen some videos of the previous generation where they were replacing a plastic caged bearing to correct this symptom, but I guess that part doesn’t exist in this platform.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On another thread this issue raised it's head, was resolved by Torqueing the Thru Bolt. Squeeeezed it just enough! That is a special fastener. Torque was listed. Can't find the thread.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On another thread this issue raised it's head, was resolved by Torqueing the Thru Bolt. Squeeeezed it just enough! That is a special fastener. Torque was listed. Can't find the thread.

I remember that thread too. That is why I mentioned disassembly and inspection, clean up and lube completely and reassemble. I seem to recall a few members doing that and problem was solved. may have all been tied to that Thru Bolt torque during reassembly.