Popping some when turning.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigblackdenali16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon xl Denali and when turning the wheel hear a sound like plastic on plastic. And also can feel some sort of popping in the floor board from driver and passenger sides when turning. Would like to know if anyone has had this issue before. And what was the issue and what did you do to correct the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_0172.jpeg
    IMG_0172.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 2

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2016 Yukon xl Denali and when turning the wheel hear a sound like plastic on plastic. And also can feel some sort of popping in the floor board from driver and passenger sides when turning. Would like to know if anyone has had this issue before. And what was the issue and what did you do to correct the problem.
my 19 does it a full lock turn, either left or right. Tires are rubbing the wheel well slightly.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 19 does it a full lock turn, either left or right. Tires are rubbing the wheel well slightly.
I get a pop when turning tight as well. This topic is located in the wrong forum though.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and recently heard some noises and I just needed to lube my steering linkages. From the factory they don't have grease zerks. If dry, would need to replace components. If can make it do it when sitting still, get the mechanic stethoscope out and pinpoint the noise.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MOVED you here from 2021+section

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum and recently heard some noises and I just needed to lube my steering linkages. From the factory they don't have grease zerks. If dry, would need to replace components. If can make it do it when sitting still, get the mechanic stethoscope out and pinpoint the noise.

Which components did you grease? My outer tie rod ends are the only components with factory zerks. Although traditionally a ball joint will give you a squeak when it is try. This "pop" only occurs when turning tightly in either direction. I am not sure what it is, but it sounds like it is a universal trait at least with this SUV and truck platform.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I should have said that the parts that are on there now are replacement and have zerks. I lubed the idler arm and bracket, pitman arm, center link, inner and outer tie rods and ball joints. I had installed and not lubed since. My fault entirely. If your items/components are OE, then the zerks you have may be all you have. If something else is popping, then that would need replacement. Make sure you check your rack mounts.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have said that the parts that are on there now are replacement and have zerks. I lubed the idler arm and bracket, pitman arm, center link, inner and outer tie rods and ball joints. I had installed and not lubed since. My fault entirely. If your items/components are OE, then the zerks you have may be all you have. If something else is popping, then that would need replacement. Make sure you check your rack mounts.
I note that you have a 2005. That's entirely different. Torsion bars too as far as I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman