Passenger side blend door actuator location??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z71_tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the popular blend door actuator failure on a 2004 z71 tahoe with full auto HVAC. It is the passenger side that failed and I can't seem to locate the actuator that does the temperature control for the passenger side vents. I thought I found it under the hush panel on the passenger side just in front of the center console, but it ended up being the driver's side actuator.

I can't seem to find a thread that gives the location so any help would be awesome!

Also, I turned started the tahoe today and watched the rear actuator move(it has issues too)...is it in the logic for the blend door to only move in segments??? What I mean is the actuator would move only halfway when commanded full hot or full cold....then it would jitter back and forth ever so slightly then finally move all the way. I hope this is normal as both my actuators seem to do it, but I'm not sure of the reasoning...Thanks guys!

Last edited:

03z71chevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have not yet replaced it yet, or if there is anyone else who is about to, know that it is changeable without taking the whole dash apart like the writeup shows. I changed mine a few months ago by simply removing the glove compartment door, center vent cover and the small storage box under the center vent. Now it is very tight and there is only a small amount to work between the actuator and the black air tube that runs above it but in my opinion it is much easier then taking everything apart.

Before you do anything. Follow the calibration procedures which are also on that website to see if that will fix your problem.

dominer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just did mine a few days ago. changed out the Passenger side actuator along with the fresh air/Recirc actuator while I was in there. Took me about three and a half hours total. Not as bad as it sounds, just need to take your time and pay attention to what your doing. Good as new now.

johnalbe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Which procedure?

Just did mine a few days ago. changed out the Passenger side actuator along with the fresh air/Recirc actuator while I was in there. Took me about three and a half hours total. Not as bad as it sounds, just need to take your time and pay attention to what your doing. Good as new now.

Hi and thanks for the info. Did you do the complete dash removal as in Sparky's or just the Glove box removal as mentioned by another guy earlier?

Jezmo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am very grateful to all those who have posted helpful suggestions for actuator problems. I just finished pulling and cleaning all 4 of mine in which one required replacement. That particular one had a dead motor that would not run when checked with a battery. I did have to pull the entire dash apart as described in Sparky's Answers threads. The passenger side actuator which is on top of the housing and below the vent tube has a screw on mine that is on the left if facing the front of the truck. I could not get to that screw even with a flexible mini ratchet. I have long skinny hands and it just wasn't possible in my truck. Maybe some have a bit more room. Long story but the end result is it all works flawless now. The GM TECH2 shows the commanded and actual positions as being identical and the actuators now move as commanded. Again, thanks to all who posted help. P.S. - Mine were absolutely caked in grease, way more than would be required for simple lubrication. It had just covered the contacts.

JoeJoe92

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I just found a trick to try for diagnostics. My passenger vents stayed blowing hot no matter where the climate control selector is. Drivers side worked fine. I took the center vent out and dismounted the glove box. I found both blend door actuators and unplugged them both (there is very little space to get to the passenger actuator, but you can see it and get to the plug). I took off the actuator for the drivers side and plugged the connector for the passenger actuator into it to see if it would function, it did not work. So I took the plug for the drivers side and plugged it into the passenger actuator (very tight for my big hands) and was able to get the passenger side actuator to function. This tells me that it isn't receiving the signal from the climate control unit. Once I had the passenger side blowing cool again, I unplugged it, routed the wire for drivers actuator back to its spot, and put the drivers actuator, glove box, and center vent back in place. I left the passenger actuator unplugged to avoid it getting stuck in heat mode again (not much of a need for the heater in my area). This is a quick "fix" to get you by if you are short on time, on a budget, or just trying to get by.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE

Latest posts