parasitic drain got me stumped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
I bought the truck wit this problem I think. The guy told me to make sure I jiggle the key and check the window switches to make sure truck is off so battery won't die.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe he already did some digging and found something in those circuits keeps a draw on the ECM-B circuit. I can see the key causing a problem, but I don't see how the window switch(es) has anything to do with it, though. Add disconnecting the plug(s) on the steering column (under the dash) to your list of things to unplug when checking for drains.

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
Ya I'm thinking I'm going to have to take out the steering column anyways. When ever I brake I get a 'static' click sound on the radio.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Maybe he already did some digging and found something in those circuits keeps a draw on the ECM-B circuit. I can see the key causing a problem, but I don't see how the window switch(es) has anything to do with it, though. Add disconnecting the plug(s) on the steering column (under the dash) to your list of things to unplug when checking for drains.

I'm thinking he means use the window switches as a test to make sure it's off.

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
Ya that is what I mean about the window switch. The ignition cylinder looks like it's been hammered on as well. both
ears are broken off. I have a different one with a key so I will replace that as well.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I'm thinking I'm going to have to take out the steering column anyways. When ever I brake I get a 'static' click sound on the radio.

Interference like that is usually from a bad ground. But, just the same, the brake switch is another component to unplug when testing. I'm still leaning towards a sensor circuit, though. I didn't think the brake switch required removal of the steering column, does it?

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
No idea but what the heck. I've already gutted the interior so what is a few more bolts:)

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
Well it's been a few weeks now since I checked all the wiring from the fuel pump to the CPU and so far it's not failed to start once. Not sure what I did other than reconnecting that large blue wire. Keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
OP
F

floater

Reaction score
I never did end up finding what was causing my parasitic drain. Through further testing I found that ecm b fuse and the ignition A fuse were causing the drain. I ended up putting in a second battery and moving the red computer wire from the starting battery to this new battery. It's been two months now and the truck has started every day, even after sitting two weeks. I'm not sure how many volts of signal is required to engage the starter solenoid but it seems to be allot less that turning over the starter. So far so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01