Painting Center Console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
The original plastic center console in my truck looks like crap, its just sitting in the shed. I want to paint it black or blackish?
What kind of sand paper should I use and any sort of paint I should use?
I was just gonna use some adhesive paint, black primer, and glossy black but I have a feeling the glossy will look weird I want it to retain its original texture/look, just be black.

---------- Post added at 03:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM ----------

If you all are confused as to what I'm talking about this is what I'm working with, except I got this picture from the internet, I wish mine looked that good ha.

355370596_tp.jpg

txhoescrapin

Our needy member :-)
Reaction score
Sand with 200 grit, spray with krylon fusion primer, sand again, then spray with krylon flat black fusion for plastic, then with satin clear. Thats what I did to my dash.

OP
OP
blackcoffee

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Thanks man, yeah I've got krylon primer and flat I'm just gonna use those, then hit it with some satin clear I guess. I'll post pics wenesday when I do it.

Da90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Escalade dash bezel and it was tan so I went to O'reilly's and bought adhesion promoter, gray interior paint and painted it. Came out great! Can't even tell a difference in the color! I didn't sand or prime but may need to do a little on the console.

IRQVET

2 Door Owners Club
Reaction score
Unless you have body work experience DO NOT SAND FIRST !!!

Its too easy for someone to sand down flat spots and ruin whatever it is your working on. Take a degreaser like Simple Green and clean it well. Once all the oils and foreign matter have been removed, shot the console with a sand able primer.

SAND LIGHTLY with 200 grit sandpaper.
(Repeat this process a few times before you apply your first coat of paint)

Use a semi-gloss or flat paint cause using something with too much gloss makes the final product look kinda cheap.

Good luck dude !!!

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya a good cleaning
flat paint
and a MATTE clearer coat
dont shoot a glossy coat it will look weird
flat paint and matte clear coat
i did mine i can show u a pic
it looks factory just black

OP
OP
blackcoffee

blackcoffee

O.G. Black.
Reaction score
Sweet. Thanks for the help, its not that I can't paint or something ha. It's just I know you all have done things like this before and its really nice to have you give me a layout of EXACTLY what I need and what I need to do.

I appreciate it, and I'll show you how it turns out when I'm done with it tomorrow!

txhoescrapin

Our needy member :-)
Reaction score
I would sand before prime. Thats what I did to my dash. If there is any shine at all left on plastic that paint job aint gonna stick for a long time.

gulleyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey txhoescrapin, can you post some pics of how your interior turned out? I'm curious and think'n about doing this to my truck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667