Painting car?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RollTide2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now my car is a greystone color, but I really want it to be a black color because I don't know how black out tails, grille, bowties, and rims would look on this color car. So my question is how much is it to get a really good paint on my car?

Also what is so bad about the stock nav? My dad wants to put a navigation system into my Tahoe for when we go out of town. I've told him it is not very good but he doesn't want to believe me. Is a Pioneer or another aftermarket system better?

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cannot comment extensively on the paint job. It sounds rather expensive to me. Maybe this sounds stupid, but why don't you just "gray" everything out? I would think it would be much easier to just match the tails, grille, bowties, and rims to the color that the vehicle already is. I understand if you want that "blacked out" look, and if your set on it - go for it, but it just sounds so expensive to me. To get a really good paint job, one that will last, and one that paints all the parts on the vehicle (inside the doors included) you are looking at spending a pretty penny. The other option could be to go "two tone." Have the lower half painted black or vice versa and leave the other half the original color. I really don't know. Maybe someone that knows more about having a vehicle painted would be able to offer a more educated thought on the matter. Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents on that subject.

As for the navigation question - I currently have the OEM navigation in my Tahoe. It is just....okay. What I liked about it was the fact that it was nearly all "plug and play", required very little programming and additional wires, looks good (meaning fit and finish of the dash), fits nicely, and works with Onstar (which I use). However, the navigation, to put it lightly, sucks. I mean, it's okay for what it's worth, but there are WAY better options out there. A head unit with Garmin or Tom Tom navigation built in would be much better off in the long run. On top of that, the interface is rather lacking. It has a pretty simple look, and that's about as far as it goes. If you want good navigation and a better looking interface, I would look somewhere else!

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's just a 'scuff and shoot' paint job it'll probably be close to $3000 or so. Maybe more depending on the shop you have do it. Changing colors is $$$ especially if you have them do a complete job and paint the jams as well.

NASTY GM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A complete color change from a quality shop would be at least 10k. Now depending where you live and if you want to cut some corners it could cost less.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can save the most money by doing the prep work and body work yourself and then have a shop shoot the paint if you need them to.

OP
OP
R

RollTide2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think I have decided against getting a paint job and just try what I was planning with the greystone.

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can save the most money by doing the prep work and body work yourself and then have a shop shoot the paint if you need them to.

a good paint shop will not paint over someone else's prep work you may actually rise the prize by you messing with it before hand, no unless you go to macco or a shop that really dont care about the outcome of the paint job, all they will do is blame it on your prep work. my 2cents

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My point of view was simply based on personal experience and I have a few connections in the paint business. I can do all the bodywork 'stuff' but don't have the space or proper equipment to shoot my own paint. So if I get all the bodywork done I can drop it off and they may go back and fine tune some spots but for the most part it's ready for them to shoot when I drop it off and it takes a job that would originally cost $8k to $10k down to about $3k.

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My point of view was simply based on personal experience and I have a few connections in the paint business. I can do all the bodywork 'stuff' but don't have the space or proper equipment to shoot my own paint. So if I get all the bodywork done I can drop it off and they may go back and fine tune some spots but for the most part it's ready for them to shoot when I drop it off and it takes a job that would originally cost $8k to $10k down to about $3k.

and thats a good point but as we all know a lot of people dont know to do body work and just end up making more work for the shop

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point :waytogo: I always like to encourage folks to learn that stuff, though, but in that instance they might wanna prepare to fork over some $$$ if they screw something up too bad :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyhoe24

Latest posts