Our trucks VS Toyota Sequoia???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agree on the FJ, and those things have a cult following too.

Very rugged looking trucks!
Yea, you are right about the cult following. Apparently there was only about 1500 Trail Team rigs built and they are sought after. This American Legion friend of mine just bought his and had a couple major oil leaks that I fixed but the 226k mile engine still runs smooth and strong. He is in his late 70's and has the money to buy what he wants. He had a new 2 door full size Bronco and sold it back because he hated it and he drove the 2010 FJ and loved it. All good with me. I am the one that will be doing the work on it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are some vehicles in certain years, by certain manufacturers, that just are good S H I T. Everybody gets a win........hell, even a blind squirrel gets a nut occasionally....

I can list off a number of vehicles nonGM that I wouldn't bat an eye at buying because of the fit and finish and good overall engineering. I'm not so nieve that I will only stick with one brand. I will.say the GM w body and truck platform has treated me well for almost 30 years. However, there's something to be said about NOT jumping on the new-is-better bandwagon- hence toyota and honda vehicles.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are some vehicles in certain years, by certain manufacturers, that just are good S H I T. Everybody gets a win........hell, even a blind squirrel gets a nut occasionally....

I can list off a number of vehicles nonGM that I wouldn't bat an eye at buying because of the fit and finish and good overall engineering. I'm not so nieve that I will only stick with one brand. I will.say the GM w body and truck platform has treated me well for almost 30 years. However, there's something to be said about NOT jumping on the new-is-better bandwagon- hence toyota and honda vehicles.
Having worked on and selling service for all different types of rigs, I saw the good and the bad. My dad was a Ford guy but I grew up Chevy. But I have owned other brands and I would not hesitate to buy the right Toyota, truck or SUV. I recommended a bunch of Hondas to parents that asked my opinion for a kids first car or off to college car. They, and the Toyotas, handle lack of maintenance very well.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flash back: When I bought my 2001 Yukon SLT 4WD I strongly considered a Land Cruiser, but in the end the driving experience and capability of both trucks was so similar that me and my Youngblood self just couldn’t see paying $50K for the L/C vs $42K for the GMC. The L/C had more wow/pow, but the GMT800 test drive sold me. Plus I was blown away by the technology in the OnStar. That was George Jetson level $#i+.

Flash forward to today, right now. I don’t drive my Yukon daily but I still put a few thousand miles on it every year, and it has been incredibly reliable. I drove it to work in the California Mohave desert for several months of 2019. Back in the day I drove it everywhere. Across the country multiple times. Ski hills. Mountain bike trails. Surfing excursions. Home Depot weekends. Then get up and go to work. That’s what a truck is for, right?

If I was buying a new big SUV today I would not buy a Sequoia or a Yukon. Id wait a year and then by a Sequioa or a Yukon. Seems like the new generation Yukon/Tahoe is still working the bugs out, and the Sequoia and just-announced L/C is too new. But both have a lot to offer. So does the Mazda 90 and the Acura MDX-S, but those are different than a big SUV.

So I’m just rambling, but bottom line is I could not have asked for more, or gotten more, out of my Yukon. Here it is as it sits, 22 years later. Made the right choice.

Attachments

• 7A1794F7-F96F-4E84-99F6-190AD9C4E02B.jpeg
    7A1794F7-F96F-4E84-99F6-190AD9C4E02B.jpeg
    332.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember when I sold used(up) cars back in the early 90's , the Lexus we had on the lot would have 150k ++ miles and still felt great.

Meanwhile the Caddy's were ready for the junkyard. But that is old GM quality.

My 2017 Tahoe is miles ahead of the old GM 80's and 90's quality, and the highway ride is amazing - only thing that aches is my legs after 6 + hours driving, and that's function of being 56 YO lol.

If my wife would agree, our 2nd ride would be a Yukon, but she wants something smaller and easier to park.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I remember when I sold used(up) cars back in the early 90's , the Lexus we had on the lot would have 150k ++ miles and still felt great.

Meanwhile the Caddy's were ready for the junkyard. But that is old GM quality.

My 2017 Tahoe is miles ahead of the old GM 80's and 90's quality, and the highway ride is amazing - only thing that aches is my legs after 6 + hours driving, and that's function of being 56 YO lol.

If my wife would agree, our 2nd ride would be a Yukon, but she wants something smaller and easier to park.
"If only the women would learn how to park a bigger vehicle, you could have two large and in charge vehicles for comfort"------A sexist would say!

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flash back: When I bought my 2001 Yukon SLT 4WD I strongly considered a Land Cruiser, but in the end the driving experience and capability of both trucks was so similar that me and my Youngblood self just couldn’t see paying $50K for the L/C vs $42K for the GMC. The L/C had more wow/pow, but the GMT800 test drive sold me. Plus I was blown away by the technology in the OnStar. That was George Jetson level $#i+.

Flash forward to today, right now. I don’t drive my Yukon daily but I still put a few thousand miles on it every year, and it has been incredibly reliable. I drove it to work in the California Mohave desert for several months of 2019. Back in the day I drove it everywhere. Across the country multiple times. Ski hills. Mountain bike trails. Surfing excursions. Home Depot weekends. Then get up and go to work. That’s what a truck is for, right?

If I was buying a new big SUV today I would not buy a Sequoia or a Yukon. Id wait a year and then by a Sequioa or a Yukon. Seems like the new generation Yukon/Tahoe is still working the bugs out, and the Sequoia and just-announced L/C is too new. But both have a lot to offer. So does the Mazda 90 and the Acura MDX-S, but those are different than a big SUV.

So I’m just rambling, but bottom line is I could not have asked for more, or gotten more, out of my Yukon. Here it is as it sits, 22 years later. Made the right choice.
What type of repairs over the years and current mileage?

Just curious what I should expect, I have a 2017 5.3L, 4x4, pretty much never tow or go off road - road trip highway truck, occasional dirt road, rarely though.

I change the oil relentlessly, and all fluids and factory service done early, at the dealer.

Trying to get 300k ++ out of her, and keep it as a forever truck. Mod it Mad Maxx style if ever need to rebuild it lol, that's when I put in big power and lift it.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I was at my American Legion today watching the NASCAR race. My friend with the 2010 FJ Cruiser came in. He handed me the key and told me to go drive it. I had only road tested after repair work before and did not really put it through it's paces. I found that the manual adjusted seat would drop down and that made all the difference. I did not adjust seat before, when I road tested, except for putting all the way back for my long legs. My head was close to the ceiling then too. The dropped seat and correct seat back tilt made all the difference. Quite comfortable except for my "man spread" legs that hit the arm rest master switch control area. I have it on my Tahoe too but it is slightly wider. I do have to say that the engine had gobs of power and the transmission had nice smooth shifts. I was pleasantly surprised and impressed with the vehicle. Little bit shorter wheelbase and a cramped second row with extended cab size doors that open as suicide doors. Not as much room in the rear storage area either. It is a vehicle I would consider though. Especially since it has an option 6 speed manual transmission.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of repairs over the years and current mileage?

Just curious what I should expect, I have a 2017 5.3L, 4x4, pretty much never tow or go off road - road trip highway truck, occasional dirt road, rarely though.

I change the oil relentlessly, and all fluids and factory service done early, at the dealer.

Trying to get 300k ++ out of her, and keep it as a forever truck. Mod it Mad Maxx style if ever need to rebuild it lol, that's when I put in big power and lift it.
You are on the right track. If I was doing it over I’d have stuck with the dealer longer than I did, but I’ve found a great local shop that I trust.

At 22 years and 175K miles the only non-service repairs I’ve done are 1X single inner tie rod end (165K), 1X minor AC repair (155K recharged and replaced components but kept compressor, should have replaced it ); 1X major HVAC (oops, few years later had to replace compressor this time), 1X fan clutch, 1X ABS control module (141K, should have fixed it myself with a circuit card repair); 1X window regulator. And my water pump just failed, with a small drip. I went ahead and changed out the water pump, thermostat assembly, hoses and radiator proactively to simply zero-time the whole system, lesson learned from my second HVAC repair.

I also have two repairs I need to get to. My ambient light sensor is failed - need to remove the dash cap and replace the sensor so my DRLs will work again. And my fuel pump sender might be on last legs. I am gettining intermittent fuel gage inaccurate (shows empty) but only when tank is full. Down around 3/4 gage starts working again. I believe this means I’ll need to replace entire fuel pump assembly inside the fuel tank.

I have serviced my Yukon more frequently than manual recommends, however. I change the engine air and cabin air and fuel filter about once a year. Why wouldn’t you? Takes only a few minutes and $60 for all three. Replaced front struts and bumpers at 105K and again last week at 175K …. Maybe that’s helped with the reliable steering system. I changed the oil and filter at 1000 miles then every 4-5,000 miles. I flush the transmission and cooling system every 30,000. Oil, ATF and coolant frequency is probably overkill but I really don’t burn burn detectable oil between changes (less than 1/2 quart), and am still on the original transmission. Overall, I’m convinced that the relentless (good word) fluid changes contributed to my luck w reliability. I can’t imagine going 100,000 miles between ATF services, like the manual recommends for “normal duty” operation.

I budget one big repair per year …. After cooling system last week I’ll start saving for the transmission next summer, hopefully won’t need it.

ENTX

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you need something the size of Suburban/Yukon XL then Sequoia is not really a competition so reliability rating is somewhat irrelevant :) When I was in the market for a large SUV, I look at everything and NOTHING comes close to the spacious cabin and cargo space of Suburban/Yukon XL (went with a Suburban) . Even Tahoe has more room than Sequoia. Wondering why Toyota is not making anything of similar size - seem like lots of demand there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123