Our new 2021 Suburban /w Duramax diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesels lose their stones when you are at say 65-70 and want to jump on it and pass someone. They will still move, but certainly not like the 6.2.
This is the price you pay for low end torque vs higher rpm torque and HP. Its really not an issue when you finally understand what your vehicle can and cannot do. They certainly aren't perfect, but the positives far outweigh the negatives in my book....

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Diesels lose their stones when you are at say 65-70 and want to jump on it and pass someone. They will still move, but certainly not like the 6.2.
This is the price you pay for low end torque vs higher rpm torque and HP. Its really not an issue when you finally understand what your vehicle can and cannot do. They certainly aren't perfect, but the positives far outweigh the negatives in my book....

I had a 2002 3/4 ton Duramax diesel truck and I could stomp on that thing at highway speed and it shot off like a rocket. It acted just like a gas engine when you stomped on it. Maybe it is just the current v8 Duramax diesels and the inline 6 Duramax diesels that seem to be gutless like I was describing.

OP
OP
J

Jim Meehan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have done some reading and the only drawback I have read about, saw it mentioned two times, is that when towing or not towing that when at a cruise speed and want to throttle hard, the diesel seems to have a bit of a lag and seems slow to build to a higher speed. Can you update on that when you can? Thanks.

It seems plenty responsive to me.

MajorJakkov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2002 3/4 ton Duramax diesel truck and I could stomp on that thing at highway speed and it shot off like a rocket. It acted just like a gas engine when you stomped on it. Maybe it is just the current v8 Duramax diesels and the inline 6 Duramax diesels that seem to be gutless like I was describing.

I'm assuming the post was a reference to the smaller diesel engines. I have a 2019 6.6L and I can assure you highway passing is no problem. :)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Wow, Burb with a 3.0L turbo diesel as a factory option in a 1/2 ton full size SUV.

Is that day really, finally here? GM, thank you for listening!!!

Congratulations on finding the millennium falcon of Suburbans, especially here in Cali with all our CARB and EPA restrictions. White on black may not seem exciting until you’re in the low desert @ 110*F and radiant heat roasts anything with a hint of color in it.

I wonder if there’s and aftermarket kit to hook up an inverter powered by the truck with enough juice to substitute for a generator for the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When I had my V8 Duramax I also had a side business where I would drive to a customer who was thinking of buying a used vehicle and I had a 3 tier price plan for the used vehicle inspection. I had an air compressor in the back and I used an inverter kit that I hard wired in to run the compressor and drop light or whatever. There are limitations but there are numerous choices for those inverter kits. Unfortunately this was around the time that all the online companies like CarFax came about and that side business was only busy for about a year. It was hard to convince people that a CarFax only tells what has been "reported" and also gives no info about what is going on with the vehicle right at that moment.

homesick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great looking rig and congrats on the find. I have done some reading and the only drawback I have read about, saw it mentioned two times, is that when towing or not towing that when at a cruise speed and want to throttle hard, the diesel seems to have a bit of a lag and seems slow to build to a higher speed. Can you update on that when you can? Thanks.

Turbo lag?

joe

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I believe you are probably right with the turbo lag on the instant acceleration but slow to build speed is also a concern. I guess that can also be attributed to the turbo but in this day and age that new design 6 cylinder should perform better in a full size SUV, IMO. My V8 Duramax had no discernible turbo lag when I stomped on it and that was in 2002.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons