Our new 2021 Suburban /w Duramax diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a 2021 Suburban on order since October when the order books first opened for the Duramax diesel option. The dealer called me a week ago to say that the GM rep had been by and he was only going to get one more Suburban allocated this year, so it wasn't looking good for my order to get picked up. He also told me that the Northern California region in general wasn't going to get many Suburbans allocated, though didn't explain exactly why.

They hadn't requested a deposit, so I started looking on the Chevrolet.com inventory search to see what might be available in dealer inventory. There were only 15 Duramax Suburbans listed in the entire country, and on calling the dealerships, most of those were pre-sold orders. However, I did find one unsold at a dealer in the San Diego area and drove down there this past Friday to grab it.

It's a Premier with the Premium Package + Power-sliding center console. White exterior, black interior. Not our first color choices, but looks sharp nonetheless. The Duramax is buttery smooth with plenty of power. We took the trailer out for a night over the long weekend, and the towing experience was night and day better than the 2017 Toyota Sienna minivan that the Suburban replaced.

Very happy customer so far.

View attachment 268259
Congrats on your new burb - she's beautiful. As an owner of a white Denali, I think you'll be happy with the color because it's easy to keep clean (surprisingly) and is significantly cooler than our silver Denali on those hot summer days. I'll also be interested in your towing and long term reliability experiences with this engine. Our camper is 5800 lbs empty so I'm especially interested in how it stacks up against, say, the 6.2 for real world towing situations. Thanks for posting here and sharing.

uptown_nyc

Reaction score
Its the one thing i really wish i had on my at4.
Good looking suburban! Congrats.

Seems like an expensive gimmick to me. I'd rather move it with my hand, which is bound to slide it faster than their motor, and also would eliminate things that might someday break.

RottsRoc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Awesome, congrats!! I have a Sierra 2500HD AT4 on order since Dec.....6.6 not diesel.

Capital City

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As above with updating the performance and mileage. Wish it had more power though. Torque is comparable to the 6.2 but could have more. Like 900 ft/lbs hahaaaa! Cmon GM you know we want it.

tabraha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As above with updating the performance and mileage. Wish it had more power though. Torque is comparable to the 6.2 but could have more. Like 900 ft/lbs hahaaaa! Cmon GM you know we want it.

OK, not gonna lie I'd upgrade my 21 AT4 for a L5P AT4 in a heartbeat! The ease of which my L5P pulls my 5th wheel across the Rockies and Bighorns is ridiculous.

Also, sluggishness may be when it is doing a regen. That can sap some power and while the L5P has power to spare the baby-dmax doesn't really. Really wish GM would just have a dash indicator when regens happen but then again I'd probably stay ticked at how often it burns extra fuel in the name of being green...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had a 2021 Suburban on order since October when the order books first opened for the Duramax diesel option. The dealer called me a week ago to say that the GM rep had been by and he was only going to get one more Suburban allocated this year, so it wasn't looking good for my order to get picked up. He also told me that the Northern California region in general wasn't going to get many Suburbans allocated, though didn't explain exactly why.

They hadn't requested a deposit, so I started looking on the Chevrolet.com inventory search to see what might be available in dealer inventory. There were only 15 Duramax Suburbans listed in the entire country, and on calling the dealerships, most of those were pre-sold orders. However, I did find one unsold at a dealer in the San Diego area and drove down there this past Friday to grab it.

It's a Premier with the Premium Package + Power-sliding center console. White exterior, black interior. Not our first color choices, but looks sharp nonetheless. The Duramax is buttery smooth with plenty of power. We took the trailer out for a night over the long weekend, and the towing experience was night and day better than the 2017 Toyota Sienna minivan that the Suburban replaced.

Very happy customer so far.

View attachment 268259
@Jim Meehan, I'm curious what your towing experience has been like with your Duramax over the past couple of seasons. Hopefully you'll see this and we'll get to hear from you!