OTA Update on 2021 Yukon Denali seems to have bricked my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Saltydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not seen the update come on our 21' i am going to check it out later today

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a good read on the OTA system, how it works and some of the problems you might run into. https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14502

Mine is a '22 and I've had the update notice come up. I tried to install it while in the garage and it said update failed. I tried one more time with it out of the garage to see if that would help, but it still failed. Each time it gets to the "Verifying Update" screen and then after a few minutes it shows a screen saying it failed. I'm wondering if I need to have a better 4G LTE (OnStar) connection to allow it to verify the update package and then proceed to install. I'm going to give it one more shot and drive into town, park in a store parking lot and give it a go - if that doesn't work I'm going to decline the update and ask the dealer to do it. FWIW - I have not noticed any bugs with our infotainment system, but we're only 500 miles into using this rig...

imfrogman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's a good read on the OTA system, how it works and some of the problems you might run into. https://gm-techlink.com/?p=14502

Mine is a '22 and I've had the update notice come up. I tried to install it while in the garage and it said update failed. I tried one more time with it out of the garage to see if that would help, but it still failed. Each time it gets to the "Verifying Update" screen and then after a few minutes it shows a screen saying it failed. I'm wondering if I need to have a better 4G LTE (OnStar) connection to allow it to verify the update package and then proceed to install. I'm going to give it one more shot and drive into town, park in a store parking lot and give it a go - if that doesn't work I'm going to decline the update and ask the dealer to do it. FWIW - I have not noticed any bugs with our infotainment system, but we're only 500 miles into using this rig...
I've done 2 ota updates with no issues. I just hook up to my home wifi

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score

From the article:
"When an OTA update has been downloaded to a vehicle and is available to be installed, a message is displayed on the infotainment screen notifying the driver of the impending update. The message to accept and install an OTA update will not appear until the minimum values for the battery State of Charge (SOC) and Outside Ambient Temperature (OAT) are met."

Explains why I don't have the update yet, I am guessing...way too cold here to receive it...probably won't get till spring! -8F outside this morning.

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
This is why I keep and drive my "old" trucks

1. 1991 Suburban 4x4
2. 1988 Suburban 4x4
3. 1988 V-Jimmy
4. 1986 C2500
5. 1983 C2500 Crew Cab

All the updates they need is fresh gas and oil.
Computers & headlights. None of those require you to disconnect part of the bumper just to change a bad headlight. Stupidest part of my 2009.

tgilwright

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's another. I was out of town for nine days and the hoe was in the garage, locked. Returned Saturday and the battery was dead. My voltmeter said it had 3.6 volts on board. Called roadside assist, they jump started it, ran it for 40 minutes, and put back in garage. Sunday morning no start. The DIC was showing all sorts of warnings, and I even got an email telling me to take it to the dealer immediately. Towed to dealer and been there three days waiting to get in line.They promise tomorrow (Thursday). Here's the thing....I did not know an update was inbound or was happening while I was gone. After reading this thread I'm going to the dealer tomorrow to be sure they are aware of this issue.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update to my OTA issue on my '22 Yukon XL:

Previous two attempts both failed - didn't go past the "Verifying Update" screen. Tried once with it parked in garage, the other time out of the garage. I will say, knowing that the "data/OnStar connection" is through AT&T, we have terrible AT&T reception at our house. Apparently there is some level of data connection needed when it tries to verify the update.

Today was a sunny day so I took the rig for a quick drive to town and parked in the Walmart parking lot. Ran the update and success! It only took ~5 minutes to complete.

Build # is now W149E-W163.3.2

Moral of the story - make sure you have a strong data connection to your rig when performing an OTA update.

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounded like some people could do the update while connected to their home's WiFi? Is that not the case with these OTA's?

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounded like some people could do the update while connected to their home's WiFi? Is that not the case with these OTA's?
Maybe? I know at one point when I was playing with all the settings I connected it to my home Wi-Fi. But, then every time I drove away I got a pop-up on the infotainment screen that it disconnected from the home Wi-Fi. It was annoying enough I told it to forget that connection.

Now, what I don’t remember is if I tried one of those two failed attempts when I was connected to home Wi-Fi? Too much happening all at once with a new rig - lol.

Either way, I know I read where someone said the update packet downloads when you’re driving around, but no data signal is needed to install it. I think my case proves a data signal of some sort is required.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AT4Hunter