Off road disc rotors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if they make a special rotor for mud and water. I have a friend that lives in Mexico. The streets flood. Just about every time they drive in this crap the rotors warp. It's so bad they basically have to just put up with warped rotors. I'm curious if there's a rotor that's more tolerant of extreme temperature swings, like the water cooling the hot rotor.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are they going 100mph then slamming on the brakes right until they hit the water? if not it would almost be this problem every time you went to a car wash. it sounds more like your friend has an actual problem with the brakes that should be checked out. that or each time they tried to replace the rotors they bought the cheapest rotors possible. at that point you pay for what you get. to answer your question most "performance" brand name rotors have to purpose to deal with heat faster and be less susceptible to it.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds crazy, but you almost have to be a racecar driver to drive in this city in Mexico. It's wild. You slam on the gas then hit the brakes very hard, everywhere you drive. People drive extremely aggressively, cutting in front, many time causing accidents (they're all over the place). I'm thinking their brakes get hotter than most people's as a result. It's out of this world. I used to drive little FSAE racecars in college and did a little autocross. It's comparable driving in this town but scary as hell. It's funny, I'm more scared of driving / riding in a car there than any cartel.

Oh and this town has HORRIBLE drainage. The streets turn to small rivers. People's cars wash away and they drowned all the time too. It's insane, you almost have to see it to believe it.

Yet the people are not poor there. The government just sucks and none of the public funds go back into infrastructure. They never invest in their roads or any of that stuff. It's pretty sad.

I think you maybe hit the nail on the head. Cheap bargain basement rotors. I may have them buy the nice BOSCH ones.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats alot to quote so ill leave that out. bottom dollar rotors are cheap for a reason. when i met my wife her car had rotors warped so bad i bought the rotors and changed them before we even started exchanging gifts. when we first moved in together we bought our first joint vehicle and she used to warp the rotors on that too and every car since until i started using powerstop. now i know what my wifes problem is she drives like a retired professional racer. she doesn't really speed unless the posted limit is 25 she refuses to follow that but everything else she does is done aggressively.

OP
OP
Matthew Jeschke

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats alot to quote so ill leave that out. bottom dollar rotors are cheap for a reason. when i met my wife her car had rotors warped so bad i bought the rotors and changed them before we even started exchanging gifts. when we first moved in together we bought our first joint vehicle and she used to warp the rotors on that too and every car since until i started using powerstop. now i know what my wifes problem is she drives like a retired professional racer. she doesn't really speed unless the posted limit is 25 she refuses to follow that but everything else she does is done aggressively.

That's a great story:drunk:It sounds like powerstop are great rotors? I was looking at Bosch but simply because they were the most expensive in the search o_O

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so far i have no complaints with powerstop. my original reason for using them was my wife. some of the vehicles ive noticed a difference in braking some i haven't. they also have a great rust prevention coating. all my vehicles get a powerstop treatment my neighbors also now get powerstop and his brother too. there are definitely other options out there for coated performance rotors but powerstop is my choice.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Ceramic pads will leave less material on the rotors. Powerstop drilled / slotted rotors will literally wipe water and brake dust off with every rotation AND evacuate water off the brake surface. They’re zinc coated so .... plus, plus, plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nasser Ali