OEM exhaust diameter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Can someone measure their OEM exhaust and tell me what the diameter of the piping is? Or even a measure of the tailpipe diameter might be sufficient since that is probably the largest section.

I just put on Gibson single exhaust. It has 3" piping with a 4" tip. It fits my Hybrid but the instructions only list it as being for the 4.8L/5.3L truck.

Gibson also makes one for the 6.2L which is 3.5" piping.

Thanks,
Albert

Clean07Burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '07 5.3 Suburban had 2.75" outside diameter piping directly behind the Y-pipe/converter flange which leads directly into the muffler inlet. It was also 2.75" outside diameter at the muffler outlet. These measurements were taken on my untouched factory exhaust. Not sure if the hybrids are the same, but that's what mine measured.

Did you remove your stock exhaust to install the Gibson system or was there already some other aftermarket system installed that you removed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I replaced the factory exhaust with the Gibson. I tossed the resonator long ago. Recently replaced the rest to give the truck a more finished look and better sound. I forgot to compare the diameters at the time of installation. The Gibson pipe that connects to the flange looks like it goes from 2.75" immediately to 3" within the first inch.

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good when running in v8 mode. Sounds good at idle and great at wide open throttle.

Does NOT sound good in v4 mode. V4 mode has a choppy/jalopy-like sound that is amplified with the Gibson.

OP
OP
G

Green Machine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't believe I haven't gotten any help from hybrid owners on two different boards. Anyhow, I got a hold of my friend with an escalade hybrid. Measured his exhaust pipe's OUTSIDE diameter at the outlet of the resonator using a piece of string. OEM appears to be somewhere around 2 5/8 to 2 3/4 inches. So it looks like my 3 inch Gibson is a bump up. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts