OBDII Port completely dead - which control module presents this interface?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeffm333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2013 Suburban Z71. OBDII port completely dead - won't power on generic scan tools. VXCNano is ordered, but I'm expecting it to also see nothing as the port appears completely dead, regardless of the key position in the ignition switch.

I thought that the Body Control Module (BCM) would be the critical device for hosting and presenting data on the OBDII port under the dash, but in all of my research, reading, youtube-watching, and talking with a mechanic, there have been a few bits of input indicating it isn't that simple, and that a dead OBDII port may be due to ECM issues or other issues as well.

Can someone confirm/deny this? Or have any other input?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2013 Suburban Z71. OBDII port completely dead - won't power on generic scan tools. VXCNano is ordered, but I'm expecting it to also see nothing as the port appears completely dead, regardless of the key position in the ignition switch.

I thought that the Body Control Module (BCM) would be the critical device for hosting and presenting data on the OBDII port under the dash, but in all of my research, reading, youtube-watching, and talking with a mechanic, there have been a few bits of input indicating it isn't that simple, and that a dead OBDII port may be due to ECM issues or other issues as well.

check that you have power at the cigarette power plug, if the port is dead then the fuse is blown and that fuse also provides the DATA power for the obd port, this is separate from the 12v power & ground that is at the obd port already

opfor2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Did you ever find the issue of why you did not have power to your OBDII plug? I'm having the same issue CEL came on went to plug my Bi-directional scanner and no power to the scanner.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watched the YouTube video and checked fuse 53 in the under-hood fuse box and it was blown, replaced and now all is well. Not sure how or why it flew but we will keep an eye on it. Thank you for the assistance.

the fuse also runs power to your right dash aux port. if you plug a phone adapter or something in there. it's possible to pop the fuse

i don't really read the wiring diagrams that way. but i made my aux port switched by ign power for convenience and my obd2 port is switched now too.

eh.. gm lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094