noob diesel questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jtpmedic

Reaction score
Nope. That's one of the reasons i don't pay any attention to it. If it were really critical, GM would at least provide some form of signal so you'd know when it's entered the cycle. I can usually tell by the sound of the exhaust but that's the only indication you get.
I had a Colorado ZR2 Diesel, it didn't have one either.
I heard this and was getting all excited.
Just more roller coaster of emotions...
LOL

OP
OP
S

Steebu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PS - I don't think any of the concerns you raise should stop you from getting this great engine. I drive our Duramax in very heavy traffic most of the time, no problems. If you go into regen in stop and go traffic, just keep driving until regen stops after you've gotten out of stop and go traffic.

That's great to hear. But at this point, the only thing that's stopping me from getting that engine are the stupid supply chain issues ... o_O

steiny93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd add in the following (we have a pair of the baby diesels, one Ram one GMC and we live where it gets cold, it was -28F ambient this morning).

Don't use additives, 99% of folks will cause more harm then good; buy from high volume places and use winter fuel in the winter.
Winter starts; aside from the need to use winter fuel the starting is the same as any other modern gas vehicle. If it's really cold and it's outside plug it in, just follow the instructions. Below freezing is fine, -30F it'll want to be plugged in.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, if I notice it's in regen, I keep driving. I think the manual supplement says to do this.

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd add in the following (we have a pair of the baby diesels, one Ram one GMC and we live where it gets cold, it was -28F ambient this morning).

Don't use additives, 99% of folks will cause more harm then good; buy from high volume places and use winter fuel in the winter.
Winter starts; aside from the need to use winter fuel the starting is the same as any other modern gas vehicle. If it's really cold and it's outside plug it in, just follow the instructions. Below freezing is fine, -30F it'll want to be plugged in.
Just to add another perspective to this, we have a garage that stays just above freezing when it gets toward 0 deg F and have had no problems using regular year round fuel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442