No start after running out of gas-hybrid 2007-2014

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mmradice01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
hello, first time here. Hope I can get help!
I have a 2012 Yukon Dinali 4 x 4 hybrid with 102,000 miles. No problems whatsoever until I drove it from Ohio to Florida after arriving drove around for two weeks pulled into a parking spot I had to run it out of gas it’s shut off and then would not start, after putting in 10 gallons of gasoline it still would not start but all electrical systems worked fine. It has been at the dealership now going on 7 1/2 weeks and they keep telling me different stories. Now they say it needs a new battery for $6000 after the tech charged the battery and drove it 80 miles for the weekend home and did not have any problems until 20 miles from the dealership it would not go over 25 miles an hour. I do not believe it needs a $6000 battery when he can drive it all weekend with no issues please help me with this problem, I think since it was the first time I ever ran it out of gas that it was a fuel issue, or a fuse, or a module please pleasePlease help me thank you
Mark

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would first say, DONT HAVE THE DEALER REPLACE THE HYBRID BATTERY.

There are a few other options, that are incredibly cheaper, and offer a 3 year warranty, and for 30 bucks more lifetime warranty (No brainer there).

They are a good service, and will come out and diagnose that the battery is in fact the problem, and replace if needed, all for 1/3 of the cost of a GM battery.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do what now 7 1/2 weeks seriously???? Any idea of what they have checked so far?
If this were mine I would be checking the fuel pump (suspected bad fuel pump as they get hot and burn up almost instantaneously when not submerged in gasoline "dry gas tank")
If they have pulled the Hybrid battery down to completely dead repeatedly trying to crank the engine then yes they could have killed your battery but at around 100k miles and fairly young age most Hybrid batteries will still have a lot of life left in them. Must be more to this story. Do you have any more details that you can share (wrecked vehicle?/recent major mechanical repairs?/flooded vehicle?/Has been boosted to start recently? Etc Etc

OP
OP
M

Mmradice01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes they did get it started the first week, they told me, but said it would only go 25 mph,( top speed for hybrid then engine kicks in, )then a few weeks later they said it was a fuse, nope,,, then they said they charged battery (hybrid ) and tech drove it home all weekend to his house 60 miles away in port st. Lucy,at normal speeds funny, about 120 miles round trip, but then said 10 miles from dealership on Monday it went back to only 25 mph.
now last call mgr said it needs a new battery ( hybrid) @ $6000
i have txt him twice in last 2 weeks asking for update and nothing ???!!!??? It’s hard to call him at dealership because I’m in Thailand doing volunteer work saving the Elephants and it’s 12 hr time difference .never wrecked, flooded, ect. Perfect, I have had not one problem with it till I ran it out of gas.
please help!!!
thanks
Mark
mmradice@yahoo. Com

RebelBelle

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Definitely agree on replacing the battery with one from Green Bean Hybrids. See the above post linked ad. I got one about a year ago and put another 40k miles on it and it’s still fine. They have an awesome warranty and reputation so if and I do say if you need a battery that’s a good way to go. There’s also hybrid specialit’s in Stuart which may not be too far from you. Another option for batteries is to get the cells new and have someone rebuild the battery as brand new and that can be done pretty reasonably except shipping costs and time factors from China. I’m certainly happy enough with my 2010 Tahoe Hybrid that I bought a 2013 Escalade hybrid to replace it and now have a HyHoe for sale if I get around to taking pics and posting it. Just drove it yesterday. Hopefully though, as above it may be just the fuel pump. That should be easy to test/ measure fuel pressure. Good luck and if you want any specific info pm me for contact info. There are some good resources for Hybrids here in South Florida.

OP
OP
M

Mmradice01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you, they have it running, and can drive it 100 miles before it droppeds back to 25 mph , they say, they keep trying to sell me new $6000 battery I won’t buy because I belive it’s somthing simple.
What are the names of hybrid shops in Stuart fla
Thanks
Mark

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, they have it running, and can drive it 100 miles before it droppeds back to 25 mph , they say, they keep trying to sell me new $6000 battery I won’t buy because I belive it’s somthing simple.
What are the names of hybrid shops in Stuart fla
Thanks
Mark
What dealership is it at? I would ask them to specify which codes are being thrown to cause it drop down to 25 mph. If you get the codes, please share them with us.

OP
OP
M

Mmradice01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What dealership is it at? I would ask them to specify which codes are being thrown to cause it drop down to 25 mph. If you get the codes, please share them with us.
I will,Thanks . Im in Thailand now and am waiting for thair time to open ,then ill try to get codes.
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094